Chapter 15

A few weeks later, Sophia’s mother contacted me to let me know that Sophia had been in an accident. She had been driving her bike when a car drove into her. I had wanted to know how serious it was and I got told that she was in a coma. It was horrible for me to find out and there was nothing I could do. I was all the way in South Africa and she was in Spain. I felt hopeless. I couldn’t be there for my friend. All I could do was hope that she’d be okay and I had already learnt what a dangerous thing hoping was. It was fine anyway, I was used to disappointments. So…

My ID finally arrived and my mother and I immediately went to make an appointment for my learners. There was a day open for me to write my learners the next day, but there was no way I was going to be able to do it so soon. My learners appointment was made for early May.

March was Art’s sweet sixteen. Art started school a year younger than us and therefore she was also a year younger. Art’s sweet sixteen birthday was at a smart hotel in Cape Town. It was fancy and there was a pool. All of our friends were invited. We had to wear formal attire so that meant fancy dresses.

I arrived at the hotel and got escorted to the big room where the party was. There was a long table where we were going to sit and then the stairs that led to a slightly higher level, led to the table where the food was going to be placed on.

I was greeted by Art’s mother.

“Hello Jane.”

“Good evening.” I greeted correctly for once.

Art’s mother led me to a table where I could put down Art’s gift. I had gotten her a chocolate slab- her addiction- and also a voucher.

“The rest of the girls are outside. You can just go out there.” Art’s indicated to the glass sliding door.

I went out and could see my friends standing on the other side of the grass. I had to pass stairs and the pool to get to them. The pool had steps leading inside it and it also had these long square poles in it that made like crossing. Opposite the pool were tables where a few people sat. Inside, behind these tables, was the main lobby. I walked on the grass to get to my friends. My heels were digging into the grass with every step I took.

“Jane.” Jessie greeted me.

There were murmurs of greetings from everyone else.

“You look amazing.”

“Thanks Jessie, you too hey.”

“Hello there birthday girl.” I said to Art.

“Jane!” She nearly shouted out.

“Good to see you too Art. How does it feel being sixteen?”

“Normal.”

“What’s normal for you that is.”

She laughed.

We proceeded to have little conversations and we also took pictures that we were obviously going to upload onto Facebook later. Art’s mother came to call us in a while later and Art’s father started with the program that Art had drawn up. We started with the entrée and afterwards it was the speeches. Art’s mother and father both gave a speech and then it was time for her two friends that she had asked, to make a speech. I went first.

I read Art a poem that I had written during a Physics period one day. Since the events that had unfold with Chace, I had gotten pretty good with writing poetry.

Art’s next friend said her speech and then all of us headed outside after having the main course and dessert.

While sitting outside on the benches, Chace texted me. We proceeded to have a normal conversation. Meanwhile, Art, me and the rest of our friends were making jokes. We were also the highlight of attention. People were standing at their balconies in the hotel rooms looking at us.