Breathe Me

After what happened last time that caused Tyler and Josh to be at a hospital, it was the last place they wanted to be.

Mark wasn't paying attention to the road as he sped past an intersection and their car got hit by another one. Thankfully though, it wasn't fully Mark's fault for the driver of the other car was intoxicated. 

Tyler and Josh had some minor scrapes and bruises but Mark was a little more banged up. His airbag deployed which saved him from more worse damage but he was left with his left arm broken.

Tyler and Josh were sitting in Mark's hospital room, awaiting for the doctor to tell them when they could take Mark home, because they had one more show left before the big hometown show.

There was silence when waiting for the doctor.

"Mark-" Tyler started.

"Don't even start, Tyler." Mark said.

"But-" Josh spoke up.

"You either, Josh." Mark countered.

"I just feel so bad." Tyler said.

"Me too, if I hadn't of had taken Tyler's phone and messed around with it and-"

"Enough! Okay!? Listen!" Mark said.

The two boys grew silent.

"It's neither of your faults, okay? Please, do not even began to think so. I wasn't paying attention and either was the other guy. Stuff happens and you always wish you could have prevented bad stuff from happening, but you can't always prevent it, okay?"

Tyler sighed, "I know you're right Mark, but still, you know?"

"I know. I know, but hey on the bright side... I have good news!" Mark said.

"How can you have good news?" Josh asked.

"Are you ready for this?!" Mark asked.

"What is it?" Tyler asked.

"We got the Newport Music Hall for the hometown show! Tickets go on sale in two days!"

"WHAT?!" Tyler and Josh said.

"This is amazing!" Tyler exclaimed.

"How!? What!? Mark, you're the best person ever!" Josh said.

"Psshhhhh I know."

They heard the door open to the room and the doctor came in.

"Mark, I'll have to ask your friends to leave for this discussion." She said.

"Is... is it okay if they stay? They're the only family I have close to me right now."

"I'm sorry, Mark. They can wait outside the door."

"It's okay, Mark." Josh said.

"We'll be right outside if you need us." Tyler explained.

And so the two boys left and sat outside the hospital door, in silence, just waiting for the doctor to tell them they could come back in.

It felt like forever.

Tyler and Josh were playing flappy bird on their phones for what felt like hours when the doctor finally told them they could come back in.

Upon entering, Mark looked as white as a ghost.

"Mark? What did she tell you, man?" Tyler asked.

His head turned to stare out the window.

"Bad news now..." He started.

He gave a nervous laugh as he said, "I uh, have cancer."

"What?!" Tyler and Josh said.

Mark looked to them and couldn't contain himself and bursted out laughing.

"Nah, I'm joking. I just wanted to see your reaction." He said after laughing.

"Don't joke about that!" Josh yelled at him.

"Seriously Mark. I was so worried for a second!" Tyler said.

"Whatever, you guys love me. In all seriousness, she just told me I have to stay here a couple more days."

_______________________________________________________________

"Turn away
If you could get me a drink
Of water 'cause my lips are chapped and faded
Call my aunt Marie
Help her gather all my things
And bury me in all my favorite colors
My sisters and my brothers
Still
I will not kiss you
'Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you
Now turn away
'Cause I'm awful just to see
'Cause all my hair's abandoned all my body
Oh, my agony
Know that I will never marry
Baby, I'm just soggy from the chemo
But counting down the days to go
It just ain't living
And I just hope you know
That if you say 
Goodbye today
I'd ask you to be true
'Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you"

"Why serenade me... with such a depressing song, jeez. I was jokingggggggg." Mark said.

"You asked for a song, didn't you? That's the one that came to mind." Tyler asked standing up from the piano in their living room and sitting on the couch.

After a couple days, they were all back home now, in Columbus. 

And although they had to cancel a show because of what had happened, the hometown show was just a week away now.

"I'm still so sorry, Mark." Tyler said.

"Stop. Please, stop blaming yourself. It's going to do nobody any good."

The front door opened to Josh carrying two boxes with Jenna right behind him with two more boxes.

"MERCH!" Josh exclaimed.

The four started unpacking. There was a multitude of t-shirts and pins and even some bracelets too.

"This is amazing!" Tyler said.

"I know right! Thanks again Jenna for helping me get them all!" Josh said.

"It's no problem, but I should be getting to work now." Jenna said getting up.

"I'll walk you to your car." Tyler said following her out.

When they got to her car, Tyler spoke up.

"Jenna, I missed you so much-"

"Listen, Ty-"

"I mean it, I really did."

"I missed you too... but I was just so miserable and alone without."

"I know. I know."

Jenna sighed, "But I guess I just have to get used to it, huh?"

"What do you mean?" Tyler asked.

"You guys, Twenty One Pilots... are becoming something. You're going to get signed one day, go on actual big tours, and meet so many people... and I'm going to have to get used to that because I love you, Tyler. And if that means that I'll have to deal with being alone without you for months on end, I'll willing to do that if that means we'll still be together because I don't see myself being with anyone else really, ever."

Tyler was speechless. 

"Jenna, I, I can't even express how much that means to me; how much you mean to me. I don't see myself being with anyone else either."

"Thank you, Ty."

"No, thank you, really."

"I should get going, but I'll see you later. Bye, Ty."

"Bye, J." 

He places a soft kiss on her lips and she got into her car and drove off.

Tyler knew exactly what his future held now and he was ready

to take it.

don't.