A Call

"heading to chicago today to start a little two week run. we will be back home in the middle for a date in columbus on the 23rd. check out the new album 'regional at best' on itunes and let us know what you think. and high five someone you don't know today."

_______________________________________________________________

Tyler sang into his microphone and Josh's drums filled the tiny club.

"We're going too fast, fast, save us. We're going too fast, fast save us. We're going too fast, fast save us now. We're going too fast, fast, save us. We're going too fast, fast save us. We're going too fast, fast save us now."

The music went silent for a second. The twelve people in the audience anticipated...

Tyler stood on the piano and screamed

"WE'RE GOING TOO FAST, FAST, SAVE US! WE'RE GOING TOO FAST, FAST, SAVE US! WE'RE GOING TOO FAST, FAST, SAVE US NOW!" 

He fell back, laying onto the piano.

"I walk through my door, just so I don't fall through the floor. Hey, hey, wouldn't it be great, great, if we could just lay down and wake up in Slowtown, just singing."

"Thank you. We're Twenty One Pilots, and you are our fans. Thanks for coming out tonight."

As soon as they got back to the van and started driving to their next destination, the two pondered in silence. Not because they didn't want to talk to each other but because they didn't feel the need to talk.

______________________________________________________

About an hour into driving passed by with no talking and the only sound was the radio.

Tyler sighed, "Why man."

"Why what?" Josh asked.

"Why... why is everything so fast? The show went by so fast. We're already at the second show. I know I already wrote 'Slowtown' but I think I'm only now finding meaning. I miss the times when things weren't so fast. When we were in slowtown. You know, like playing with pokemon cards and treehouse homes. Now, it's just trying to survive on your own. Paying off student loans, with the little money we're making."

Josh nodded along.

Tyler continued, "There's a point: survival. What does it mean to survive? Is it getting the necessities of food, water and shelter? If it is, how come I don't feel like I'm surviving? How come it feels like the uphills are huge mountains, while the downhills are cliffs. That I can't even recover from sometimes. I know I'm weak and beaten down. How can I slip away into the sound, you know?"

"I don't really know. Your words comfort me though. I feel them in my bones. Not weirdly, but I just feel them so strong."

remember the time?

Tyler's eyes started to gloss over.

"Hey Josh?"

"Hmm?"

"Can... I tell you something?"

"Yeah, of course."

"It's just something- not that- but I-"

"What is it?"

"Just, I want you to know. I just need you to know."

"Tyler, do you want to switch seats? I don't think you should be driving."

"I-just-okay-but-well-I'm-"

"Tyler. Let's switch, okay?"

cras hcrashr ashc ashccra shccasdCRSA h

Tyler gripped the wheel until his knuckles turned white.

"Sorry. I'm so sorry." 

"What are you sorry about? Please, let's pull over."

"Sometimes..." Tyler started,  "I just can't help but wonder if life is truly for everyone. I didn't ask to be here, you know? Why did God plant me with this worthless life? What is the meaning? Why was I placed here? I know I'm supposed to find it, but why is it so hard to survive-"

"Tyler!"

Josh grabbed the steering wheel before they drove into the other lane.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry,sorry,sorry."

Josh pulled over to the side of the road.

It was silent except for the breathes of adrenaline and anxiety.

Josh looked over to Tyler "Look, it is true that we don't choose to be here, but we can choose why we are here. If one thing is for sure we are not here to die; that just happens to be the end."

"But what if... we choose to die? Okay? What if that? I've chosen to die twice now, failed both times, and what has it gotten me? To survive? Sure..."

Josh choked on his words, "T-twice? You said you've only tried on-once."

Tyler's face turned as white as his knuckles were.

"I didn't mean to-that slipped-uh-"

Tyler looked at Josh, his eyes glossed over too.

Josh stared at him, wanting him to elaborate.

"I don't know if I can explain it..."

"Just try. Maybe it'll help, please."

They sat in silence for a couple minutes until Tyler finally spoke up.