Chapter Sixteen

"Insight is better than eyesight when it comes to seeing an angel."

- Eileen Elias Freeman, The Angels' Little Instruction Book

Amelia

"Okay, Princess." Ben said, pointing to the table, "Pick your weapon."

Excitement bubbled up inside me as I scanned the table. There laid a long black sword, a black pistol, two small black daggers and a black scythe. My black scythe.

I picked up my scythe and ran my hand along the smooth texture. The blade was long and made from Ather. Strange markings ran along the blade, lines, circles and runes twisted with the blade. It was heavy, but at the same time light.

"I knew you were going to pick that one." Ben said, looking down at me.

"What are these markings?" I asked, staring at the blade.

"You never told anyone what it meant." Ben said, starting to walk outside. "Unless you told Dean, no one knows."

I made a mental note to ask Dean about it when I saw him.

"The new angels will be here tomorrow. I think you're just about done with warrior training. You'll go up against James, Dean and me in rotation, with weapons, every day.

"Ben," I said, stopping when I saw Dean walk into the gym, "Why is Dean such a good fighter?"

Ben laughed and slapped me on the back. "He's the angel who kills demons. He was made for fighting."

I nodded as I stared at the barn. I smacked into a hard chest and when I looked up, James was laughing.

"Morning, Princess!" James said as he took the blade from Ben. "You ready?"

A smile slapped itself on my face and I swung my scythe so that it almost sliced his pretty little head off. I held it in front of me, blade shining in the sunlight.

Ben and James looked at each other, then James laughed and held his sword before him.

James and I quarrelled for hours. He turned out to be a better weapon wielder than a fist to fist fighter. Ben stopped us before we killed each other every time. We got so lost in the fight, we didn't even realise how close we actually got to killing each other.

When training was over I headed to the gym. Dean was just walking out and we almost smacked into each other.

Dean smiled down at me. "Lia."

I blushed as I cleared my throat. "Dean." I tried to say in a serious, not-flirty voice, but it came out raw and sexy.

Dean's smile widened as he stepped closer to me. "Would you like to accompany me on my perimeter watch?" Dean asked.

Was this the angel way of asking a girl out on a date?

My throat felt dry and I nodded. Dean placed his hands on my hips and pushed me forward, out of the entrance to the gym. He then pulled me to his side, took my scythe out of my hand and said, "Hold on."

"Wait, now?" I panicked. Dean laughed as he leapt into the air and I held onto him for dear life. I looked around me and gasped. The woods stretched for miles and beyond that lay a town. The lake was beautiful, although small. From up here, the lake house looked small and it didn't really fit in between the beautiful nature scene that was the woods. Dean flew us to the highway, landing in the treeline. The sun was just starting to set.