Chapter Five

"Angels deliver Fate to our doorstep – and everywhere else it is needed.

-Jessi Lane Adams

Amelia  

Days went by since I last saw him in my dreams. I sat by that fountain and waited for him until the sun came up. He never came. It confused me. If he was a fragment of my imagination, then why couldn't I imagine him now?

By the time night eight came around I was sick and tired of feeling this unwanted. I sat by the fountain and cried as I waited. The sun had already started to rise and it cast beautiful pink rays over the horizon.

I stood up and walked to one of the mazes. As I dwelled around in the maze, I couldn't help but think about him. I missed him. I missed feeling wanted by someone in my life. And boy, did he want me. He wanted me in a way no one has ever wanted me before. He wanted me for my love, my happiness and everything I was.

I halted in my tracks when I found the dead end he took me to nights ago. Something about this place was different. The flowers on the walls were gone and the fountain was cracked. My dream world was falling apart at the same pace I was. I walked over to the fountain, expecting his jacket to still be there, but sighed when it wasn't.

I sat at the bench and looked at my wrists. He once said that this place was my dream world and that I had the ability to change whatever I wanted to. I didn't want to change anything about this place, because it was so perfect.

The things I changed about my body, though, were a different story. I kept everything, but I removed the scars from my wrists. Because here, depressing thoughts of the past weren't allowed. Here it was all about him and me. I didn't want the constant reminder of the life I had to wake up to. This place was my escape. It was a place I felt I belonged, because of him. Because he wanted me. Was I really such a sad shmuck that I invented this whole place and him all because I felt lonely?

I felt the anger burst through me. He showed me the world and then he left. Maybe it was me who made him leave in the first place? After all, if I imagined him, I guess I controlled what he did or said.

I laughed. So all this time, it really wasn't someone else who loved me. It was just me, loving me, wishing for something that was impossible to get.

I felt outraged. I stood up and looked at my perfect world. No. No more false dreams and no more pity.

I looked at the fountain and took control. I willed it to go away. It was too perfect for a place like this. I willed the air to grow thick enough to choke anyone else and I made the perfect pink rays of the sun turn black. I willed the sweet wooden benches to break and crumble until they were nothing but a pile of ash. I willed the perfectly cut grass walls to fall over like dominoes, taking everything and everyone in their path.

And I willed him to face me. "Appear, you bastard!" I screamed into the air. I felt like my body was on fire as tears fell from my eyes. I looked at the palace and pictured it crumbling and burning.

It will always be just me.

I let out another frustrated scream as I turned to the other maze and destroyed its perfectness too. I was shaking when I heard a deep voice behind me. "Amelia."

I swung around and saw him standing there, shirtless and in boxers. His hair was messy, as if he'd just gotten out of bed and he held a steaming cup in his hand. He looked shocked. My vision swam with red as I went to him and knocked the cup from his hand. Its contents spilled on the floor as he grabbed my wrists.