Chapter 18: Slow Down

She did not leave me.

If I repeat it in my head enough then I can believe it. I do not want to. Believing that she did not leave me can only mean one thing and that is far worse than her leaving me. Now I wish she left me. It would break my heart but at least i would know they were safe.

Right now we were at the police station and I was trying to calm down after being accused of hurting my family. I can't believe they even went there. I know I get angry and I like to throw punches but it is absurd to accuse me of having something to do with Shane's sudden departure. I just got them back. Why would I hurt them? My own family. Do I look like some bloody psychopath?

"Officer, my grandbabies are only two, my daughter is eighteen, she would not just leave like this." Shanell cries. The tears on her face do not even sway the officer.

Mom is holding her. I am trying my best not to punch the police officer. He is not helping the situation at all.

"Do you have any reason to believe that she wouldn't leave? Her note did say she was leaving."

"My daughter is not irrational, that's not her note. She moved back home for the kids... She ..just... Oh...' And the crying prevents her from saying any more.

"Was she troubled?"

My head snaps up. "What?"

"Was she troubled, stressed out, depressed?"

"You think she would kill herself? And my kids?" I look at him if he was standing closer I would take a swing at him. How dare he suggest that. I know Shane inside out she is not out on some suicidal rampage. Why did we come here? None of these assholes were helping us. All this guy was doing was turning us around with his senseless answers.

"We have to check all possible outcomes in a situation...."

"No! That is not what happened you better..."

"Jared." Mom cuts in. I look at her. "Go outside sweetie." She says her voice is calm and I have no choice but to listen. She's the only one who has managed to keep her head on. Shanell can't stop crying and I keep getting ticked off every five minutes. I sigh and start leaving the room.

"Is there anyone who would want to hurt her or the children?"

I stop in my tracks. The one question I did not want him to ask. The answer to this question will tie it all together bring my fears to reality and I do not want that. Not for Shane and the twins. Yet I know of one person who would hurt her. I have tried to find any other reason for all of this but it fits more than I want it to.

"I don't..." Shanell began.

"Eric," I interject. I turn back into the room. "I know he did this."

I have not seen him since I knocked his lights out at the wedding reception. I heard he was hospitalized he should have died. I should have killed him. When Shane told me he left I did not question it. He was an unimportant factor.

"Who is Eric?"

"Her husband, they're getting divorced."

"I take it he didn't want that."

Why couldn't a divorce take one day to be finalized? It takes one day to get married after all. "He abused her, that's why she left him."

"He left three weeks ago we haven't seen or heard from him since Jared..." Shanell's voice trailed off.