Chapter 6: Roadside Assistance

Hey, Warren got a pick up for ya." Keys drop into my lap.

I look at him getting comfortable in his chair and picking up a magazine. "You're not coming?"

He shakes his head. "You've been here for three weeks kid you're on ya own."

That was stumpy for you. He is the laziest guy I have ever met. I put the magazine I was reading down grab the keys and head towards the tow truck.

"Black Benz, it's bound to be fancy, it's out on Penshaw road."

I nod then start the truck and take off. Twenty minutes later I find the stupid broken down Benz. It is not even on Penshaw road this dumb ass had no sense of direction.

This is bloody Monroe avenue. It is ten minutes away from Penshaw road. I was heading back to the shop when I noticed the smoking car in the rearview mirror.

I pull up in front of the shiny black rental car. Who the hell rents a Benz? The driver runs towards the truck. He is wearing a crisp black and white suit and when I say crisp I mean it. There is not one wrinkle on his clothes. Rich kid, stumpy was right. Wonder what brought his kind to our little town?

I step out of the truck and he stops then does a double-take as if he was seeing a ghost. I look behind me to make sure there is not one. Dismissing his shock he folds his arms crinkling his nose at me. What the hell did I do to him?

"Well finally." He spits. "I've been here for over an hour, you people run on snail juice or what?"

Is this guy for real? I can jump into the truck and leave his ass right here and take off in 5.0 seconds and make him eat his words. You do not give wrong directions and then act like it is the other person's fault. This is the kind of job where the customer is always right policy does not exist. If they all know what they are doing they would not wreck their damn cars.

I fold my arms. "I suppose you used that time to fix your car then."

"Does it look like it's been fixed you stupid fool?"

"Coulda fooled me." I retort ignoring his insult.

He puts his hands on his head and walks in a circle. "I'm stuck in a land of idiot hillbillies."

Leave him here Jared. Just get in the truck and leave his arrogant ass here. No one else will come back for him. It is Saturday. The boss is on a business trip and Only me and stumpy are working today he was not up to driving hence my being here. He is most likely still knee-deep in his mechanic's magazine and he is not going to put it down until clock-out time.

"I finish work in five minutes you want that piece of shit towed or not?" I know my attitude level is two notches too high but this guy is a jerk. My resolution for jerks is knock out punches so he is very lucky. Although he is not far from getting one. He just had to push the right buttons.

He gaps at me. "Do you realize who you are talking to?"

I cock my head to the side and mimic him."Do you think I give a damn who I'm talking to?"

He straightens his cardboard tie. Recomposing himself with a solemn expression."I'm going to make sure you lose your job and personally see to it that you never get a job other than cleaning trash off the streets."

Personally? What the heck is all this hating for? Sure I have an attitude spike but he started it. Childish but true. I turn around and head to the truck. I never abandon my customers but Mr suit and tie here deserves it.

Why is he hell-bent on my demise? I am sure I do not know him maybe I slept with his girlfriend back in my promiscuous days. If so then he has a serious problem holding a petty grudge like that for so long. I am pretty sure that girl may have already left him.