Chapter 13: When We First Met

Start from the beginning

He huffs but stomps forward. "M'lady, it's lovely to meet you." He says mockingly.

Not to be outdone I also walk forward. "M'lord. It's lovely to meet you too." I imitate his tone.

He narrow his eyes slightly but recovers. He then gives me a huge, deep, bow. I wait for him to be done and them mimic him by doing a deep curtsy. I nearly teeter over but manage to recover in time. He smiles, an evil glint in his eyes. He reaches for my hand and plants a big smooch on the back of it. I glare at him as I realize there is nothing I can copy off that.

I stomp back to mama and wipe the back of my hand on her skirt when I reach her trying to get all the gross kiss off of it. I don't know why but mama and Cressida seem to think it's funny because they both laugh. I frown, annoyed.

"Are you Rowena?" I quiet voice asks from behind me.

I turn around to see a little girl standing behind me. She had long black hair and really dark eyes. She was really pretty and looked a lot like Corrin. She was pretty too and seemed nicer than Corrin.

"Yeah." I say back.

"Okay, good." She smiles. "I'm Isabella." She hold her hand out and I take it.

"Nice to meet you." I say shaking hands with her.

"Yeah, you too." She returns. "I believe you met my brother Corrin?"

"He's mean and rude." Was all I say in return.

"Yes." Isabella nods her head, agreeing quite solemnly.

I smile tentatively at her. She smiles back. I decide I like Isabella. She's nice and pretty. She's not at all like Corrin. She's like Cressida. I reach forward and hug her. At first she seems surprised but then she hugs me back.

"Friends?" She asks, drawing back.

"Friends." I agree, shaking hands with Isabella.

I get a warm fuzzy feeling at getting a new friend. I like making friends. Now it doesn't seem so bad to be in this dreary castle.

"Your castle is boring." I point out. "It's got no colour."

"I know." Isabella agrees. "Let's paint it, okay?"

"Paint?" I ask, surprised.

"Paint." Isabella confirms.

We both giggle.

. . . . . . . . . .

I hide behind mama's skirts again as we approach the doors. I didn't want to go back. Not after Isabella's scary dad yelled at us. It was his fault in the first place for making the palace so dull. It looked pretty after a little bit of colour here and there. It wasn't that much.

"Rowena, sweetie." Mama coos stroking my hair. "Come on. I promise Alexandro won't bite. He was just a bit surprised. He told me afterwards that he actually loved your pretty drawing."

I just shook my head. Mama sometimes made up stories to make me feel better. Now even though I didn't want to go, she was making me go.

"Come on, Rowena." She sighs. "Don't you want to see Isabella again?"

I brighten at her words. Of course I wanted to see Isabella again. I strode forward with a bounce in my step. I couldn't wait to see Isabella again. It was really fun to play with her. I still didn't like Corrin though. Every time Isabella or I would see him we would hide until he went away. It was also fun to do that with Isabella.

I doors opened and I skipped in happily. Abruptly stopping when I crashed into something. I land on the floor with a surprised gasp. I look up and scoot backwards when I see it's Isabella's scary dad. I get up quickly and stumble back behind mama's skirts. I fist my hands in the fabric in an attempt to stop her from going forward. She reaches down and strokes my hair comfortingly.