Delivering the Baby

Leonard snapped his eyes wide open. "Your water broke?" Sara smiled and nodded. He leaped out of bed, pulled on a t-shirt and went to help his wife. 

As they left their room, Sara collapsed as the first contraction hit her like a tidal wave. She knew that they were going to be painful, she just didn't realize how much.

"Are you alright?" Leonard asked as he crouched down in front of her. He didn't wait for her to respond. "Come on. We gotta get you to Sickbay. Gideon can help." He saw Sara shake her head. "Sara. Look at me." She did when he took her face into his hands. "Just breathe. You're going to be fine." Sara nodded. "Okay. Let's go." He helped Sara to her feet, wrapped her arm around his shoulders for support, and they were on their way. Leonard activated the comm system on the ship and sent a message directly to Kendra. "Kendra?"

"Snart?"

"Yeah. It's me. Listen. Sara's water just broke and I'm taking her to Sickbay. I could use your help."

"I'm on my way." Then the comm link was disconnected.

Another contraction made Sara cry out in pain. "Hold on, baby. We're almost there." His arm around her back was secure and took all his strength to keep her up and moving. He was afraid that it might hurt the baby to pick her up and carry her, so he stuck to this. "Just around the next corner, Sara. You're going to make it."

"What's going on?" Stein asked when he came out of his room.

"Sara's water broke, and she's already having contractions."

"That's not normal." He turned to Sara as he supported her other side. "Are you sure your water just broke?"

"Positive. You do remember that I was held by the Time Masters and they sped up my pregnancy, right?" Sara asked.

"Of course. That would make sense, I guess."

They finally reached Sickbay. "Here we go," Leonard said as the doors opened. 

"Put her on the bed, Mr. Snart. I will begin my tests." Gideon said.

"Hey, is she okay?" Kendra asked as she walked in.

"We got her here alright. Now it's just left to figure out when it's okay for her to push," Stein replied.

Leonard went to Sara's bedside and stroked her hair back from her forehead. "Just breathe, Sara. Gideon will take good care of you. You're safe."

Sara responded only by taking her husband's hand and squeezing it. 

"Mr. Snart, your wife is not yet ready to deliver the child just yet," Gideon said. "She has to be fully dilated before she can begin to push. She is only halfway there, now."

"Understood, Gideon. Thank you."

Sara almost sat up in pain from another contraction. These were coming about five to six minutes apart. And she was only halfway dilated? "I guess this is what happens when pregnancy is sped up. Things are totally out of whack when it's time to deliver."

Kendra stepped forward. "Sara. You can do this. Just keep breathing." She went around to the other side of the bed and took Sara's empty hand. Every time a contraction hit, her hands would squeeze both Kendra's and Leonard's hand to help her through it. At first, these contractions seemed to last about a minute. Now they were lasting about forty-five seconds. "Gideon, how much longer?" 

"Three more centimeters," Gideon replied.

"Just in the past five minutes, she's gone up two centimeters?" Kendra asked in astonishment.

"That is correct," Gideon said.

"Oh my God," Stein remarked. "I'm going to go wake the others and let them know what's going on." Kendra nodded and Stein left.