Trying to Manage Without Him

Sara snapped awake from another dream of Leonard. Her kiss that she gave him was all she could think about these days, and it was just about the only thing she dreamed of at night. He was gone. The team had defeated Savage, and he was still gone. She didn't know how she did it, but she was continuing her life without him. That is what he would have wanted.

After defeating Savage, it was like the team didn't want to be around each other for a while. Without, Leonard, strange as it was to say, life was boring on the Waverider. Rip had sent them back home for shore leave before they had to go back out on the next mission. When Sara learned that her sister, Laurel was dead, that broke her. First Leonard and then, Laurel. She was losing the people she loved left and right. And she desperately wished that Leonard was there to hold her and comfort her. She needed someone to talk to. She then decided to find out what Mick was up to in Central City. When she found him, she felt that she could trust him with what she needed to get off her chest.

"Hey Mick," Sara said, entering the warehouse where Mick stayed.

"Sara. What are you doing here?" Mick asked. "I figured this would be the last place you'd want to be right now."

"Yet, it is also the same reason I am here," Sara replied. "I needed to talk to you about something. And it is not going to be easy for me to say, so please bear with me." Mick nodded. "I recently found out that my sister was in a fight with an evil man in Star City a few weeks ago... and she didn't make it." Sara swallowed her tears down so that she could speak more. "She's dead. And I didn't know who else I could go to to talk about this. I needed to tell someone. And I thought of you, knowing that you'd understand." Mick nodded again. "When we lost Leonard, I lost a man that could've been my future. You lost a friend who was practically a brother to you. When I got the news about Laurel, I couldn't breathe." Tears escaped her eyes, no matter how hard she tried to keep them back. Then her voice broke. "I can't do this, Mick. I can't do this without him."

Mick came to her and took her in his arms like a brother would do for a baby sister. He was on the verge of crying himself, but he had to be strong for Sara. "I'm sorry, Sara. I need you to know that if I could trade places with him, I'd do it in a heartbeat." Sara nodded against his chest while she cried. "He's not entirely gone, you know." Sara pulled back to look at Mick. "He lives in you, in me, the team, and the ship. That's where we feel closest to him. Those are the places where we honor the memory of him."

Sara nodded. "I know. It's just still hard without him here. I want to tell him about what happened with Laurel, and everything. And I just can't."

"I know. But hey, if you ever need to talk to someone, I am always here. It won't be the same, but I still wanted you to know that anyway," Mick said, placing his hand on her shoulder.

"Thanks, Mick," Sara said. "That means a lot."

"So, do you know when Rip wanted us back?" Mick asked.

"Yeah, he said we had the whole week for ourselves, which I am kind of glad because I want to spend time with my father. Seems like he and a few friends finally took down the man that killed Laurel, and my father has some free time this week," Sara replied.

"Alright, well, I'll see you in a week then," Mick said.

"Okay. I'll see ya," Sara replied.

That whole week flew by so quickly. She was able to spend quality time with her dad, which was very much needed. They went out to dinner a couple of times, and went to visit Laurel's grave. She was surprised at what the tombstone had engraved on it. It stated to the whole world that she was the Black Canary. According to her father, that was what Laurel wanted. To be known as a hero. She made her father a promise on Laurel's grave that she wasn't going anywhere. She would be careful on the missions that Rip had in store for the team. She wasn't going to allow her parents to experience another death in the family. Not one more time.

When the day came to return to the ship, both Sara's father and mother were there to see her off. She again promised to be careful, and told them she loved them. It was hard leaving them, but they knew that she had a job to do being a part of this team. They should be proud, really, she thought. She was helping to save the world. How much better could you get?

When they all sat down at dinner that night, Rip was briefing them for the mission. "So, we still need to be on the lookout for the Time Masters while on this mission. But fortunately for us, since the Oculus was destroyed, it is much harder for them to track our movements."

"Who is it exactly we are trying to stop this time, Rip?" Sara asked.

"It is actually hard to determine," Rip replied. "Gideon is surveying the timeline as we speak, but it could take days."

"Why didn't you have Gideon look over the timeline while we were on shore leave?" Mick asked. "You had a week."

"Because I spent that whole week taking a break and updating Gideon," Rip said. "We defeated Savage. I think not only you lot needed the time off, but so did I."

"Noted," Mick agreed.

Sara pushed her food away when the pain of memories of Leonard came back to her again. Being on the ship made her even more nostalgic. "I think I'm going to head to bed early. Good night, everyone."

"Sleep well, Sara," Kendra said.

"Thanks, Kendra," Sara replied. "Let's get an early start tomorrow. I wanna keep my mind off of things."

"Sounds like a plan," Kendra said.

Sara entered her room, and more memories gushed through her. She could almost see her and Leonard playing cards on her bed. She closed her eyes and began to dwell on another memory.

Leonard came around the corner and stopped at her door, holding a deck of cards and waved them in the air at her. He wanted to play a game with her, apparently. "Not in the mood," she said.

"I was gonna apologize for pulling a gun on you, but apparently I was just following a script," Leonard said.

"It doesn't make you any less of a jerk," Sara retorted.

"Guilty," he agreed. "So what do we think of Rip's plan?"

"Does it matter?" she asked. "Apparently, everything we're gonna do has already been predetermined by Rip's former bosses."

"It's funny, I've always prided myself in being the guy who doesn't play by the rules, and come to find out, I'm the one being played," Leonard said.

"I don't know," Sara said. "I still feel responsible for everything I've done. And it still keeps me up at night."

"It's the things I didn't do that keep me up at night," he said.

"And what's that?" she asked.

"Oh I don't know," he said, leaning on her bed. "If it's being on this ship, traveling through time. I started to wonder what the future might hold for me...and you...and me and you," he said as he turned his head to look into her eyes.

"You wanna steal a kiss from me, Leonard?" she asked, challenging him. "You better be one hell of a thief." And then she left. 

Reality came back to her all of a sudden. She realized she was more exhausted than she thought. She quickly changed into her pajamas, climbed into bed, and began drifting off to sleep into a dream about Leonard Snart.

***So what do you all think??? I had to put a chapter that shows how hard it was for Sara to live without Snart, so I hope you guys liked it!! Please comment!!***