A Moment to Themselves

Sara sighed in relief. He was fine. Everything was going to be okay. They were back on the Waverider and everyone was safe. "Do not do that to me again," she said, pointing a finger at him.

"Oh that? Pshh, that was nothing," Leonard said. "I'd rather have me being beaten up than you. That would just kill me to see that." He lifted his hand to her face. "I'd hate to see you have cuts and bruises on your face from a beat down. It would drive me nuts until I had taught every person that was responsible a lesson."

"But I'm not the one that's covered in bruises and cuts," Sara countered. "You are." Tears brimmed in her eyes as she cupped his cheek ever so lightly. "Leonard...if I hadn't gotten to you in time..."

"Stop," Leonard said. "It wasn't your fault. I had things handled." He was trying to lighten the mood.

"Leonard, they would have killed you when they were done having their fill of beating you up," Sara said. "If I hadn't intervened, you would have died."

"Well, there's the key to this whole thing. You did intervene, and you did stop them." He sighed. "Sara. I'm fine. It's nothing that a little rest and food won't fix. Speaking of which..."

"Yeah, I'll get you some food. I'm pretty hungry myself." She got up and made her way to the door, but Leonard stopped her.

"Hey," he said and she turned around. "Come here." She approached the bed. He cupped the back of her neck and pulled her head down for her lips to meet with his. In this kiss, he gave her the promise that not only was he okay, but everything was going to be okay and nothing was going to stand in the way of their future. She must have felt it because she kissed him back with the same amount of fervor, if not more. He pulled back, looked into her eyes, and smiled. "I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," Sara replied. "So much." And she left.

What a woman, Leonard thought. He still could not believe that Sara was his. It was a dream of his for so long. Ever since he saw her fight all those guys at the bar in 1975. He thought it was really bold of her to step up and save his life from Time Masters, although, he wished it were the other way around so that he was the one to save her life. But he instantly thought of what he had said to her. He'd hate to see her face and body all mangled from a beat down. "Gideon, how am I doing?" he asked.

"All of your injuries are healed, Mr. Snart," Gideon said. "It will feel like there is a bruise to your abdomen, but the stab wound will have no painful effects."

"Thanks," Leonard replied. He sat up in bed, and finally took a deep breath. It hurt a little in his abdomen, like Gideon said, but it was bearable. The next thing he knew was Sara walking back in to Sickbay. "That was quick," Leonard remarked.

"Kendra had already prepared a tray for you and I met her in the hallway," Sara said. She adjusted Leonard's bed for him to stay sitting up so that he could eat his breakfast, and Leonard relaxed against it. "Here you go," she said, placing the tray on his lap.

"This looks amazing. It smells even better," Leonard said, already taking his first bite and then his second. He moaned on how good the food was. Sara laughed. "What? Don't laugh. This is the first real good meal I have had for breakfast since you and I shared breakfast that one morning. Remember?"

"Of course, I do," Sara said with a smile. "I just find it so adorably human of you to react to food that way."

"Well, that is what I am striving to be. To have more emotions and feelings. I found that after a while, I wasn't feeling a whole lot when it came to good feelings. Do you know what I mean?" Leonard asked. Sara shook her head, smiling. "I mean, I felt betrayal, anger, and frustration. But when it came to good feelings, I guess I repressed them more. Like my feelings for you. I never really showed it on the surface. Yeah I tried to flirt with you in a roundabout way, but that was it. I have made it a goal that I want to show those good emotions on the surface. I want to show that I am actually a good person. I just have had a messed up past."

"Well, we all have those, Leonard," Sara said. "I mean, I was in the League of Assassins, and they taught me well. With being a part of that organization, you have to put all of your emotions to the side. All that matters is the mission." Sara had a blank stare about her. She was dwelling on the past and the kind of choices that she had made. After a few moments, she shook her head to knock herself out of it. She wasn't that person anymore. It was a part of her. She couldn't just erase it, no matter how many times she wished he could.

"Hey," Leonard said, taking her hand. "How many times do I have to remind you? That's not you anymore."

"I know," Sara replied. "It doesn't mean that those memories are going to go away. They'll always be there."

"Then we'll make new happy memories. Just the two of us."

Sara nodded. "I like the sound of that."

"Me too," Leonard said, smiling slightly. He was worried about her. He knew that she knew he loved her for who she was, past and present. He loved her for her wanting to be a better person. He loved her for all the things that she was taught to do for bad, she used those skills for good. 

"And you should know, Leonard, that you don't have to worry about retracting back to you old habits," Sara said. "I'm here if you ever need me to help you see the light in all things. You told me yourself, you chose to be a hero, and since you did that, you have changed for the better. What you were, that's not you anymore. You have been using your skills for good. And that's the most of what anybody can ask of you right now."

"I remember one the first things I said to Rip when he told us about this mission to hunt down Savage, and he wanted to recruit us. 'Hero ain't on my resume'. I didn't know it then, but I was eventually going to have to change that on my resume." He laughed. "Oh, how times have changed on this ship. We've lost some and we've gained some."

"Plus a little extra," Sara said flirtatiously, leaning in for a kiss.

Leonard responded to her kiss by cupping the back of her neck, threading his fingers through her hair and making a fist. "God, I love you." Sara giggled. He pulled back and rested his forehead against hers. "You know, I've been thinking about last night, and the way you looked." 

"Mhmm."

"I couldn't help but think that that might be us one day. Married. About to have a baby...." Leonard looked into her eyes, letting her know that he was being serious.

Sara was unsure of what to say. She wanted to have a future with Leonard so badly. She couldn't believe that he was saying all of this. "Do you mean it?"

"I wouldn't have said it if I didn't," Leonard replied. "I'm not trying to pressure you. I'm a patient man, Sara. I'll wait for as long as it takes. But I know that one day, we will have that future...together."

"I want that too, Leonard," Sara said. "You have no idea how much."

Leonard sighed in relief as he smiled. The very words he wanted to hear. 

"Everyone, please meet me on the bridge," Rip announced over the comm system.

Well, not those words! Leonard thought to himself. "Till another time," he said, sighing with frustration now.

Sara laughed. "It's okay. We have all the time in the world."

"Yeah," Leonard said as he got up from his bed and walked out of Sickbay with Sara. "It helps to be on a time ship doesn't it?" He took Sara's hand in his and then everything was right in the world. Holding her hand always gave him a feeling of peace.

Sara looked up at him and smiled. "We're going to be fine. You'll see."

***Alright, so what do you guys think? I really liked writing this part, and I hope you guys enjoyed it. Next part will go up soon!***