Chapter 21

THE UPDATE FOR THIS STORY! HERE'S THE CHAPPIE! I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT.

Izayoi was up earlier than usual the following morning. She got dressed in some comfortable pink warm-ups and white tee and picked up her hair in a ponytail. She sneaked out of the castle as quietly as possible, and went to the forest where she first met her mother. After wandering around for a while, she got tired and sat down beside a river. As she stared at the sparkling water, she saw her mother's reflection and looked back. "What are you doing here so early, Izayoi?" Kikyo asked, sitting down beside her. "I was looking for you because...Father's forcing me to marry someone I really hate." Izayoi felt tears welling up in her eyes and said,"You were right about him! He can't be trusted!"

She suddenly burst into tears and Kikyo gently placed a hand on her head. "Who is he forcing you to marry?" she asked. Izayoi sniffed and replied,"One of his incarnations. Hakudoshi." She paused before going on. "He is in love with me, if you can call it that. But I know that he only desires me. Bankotsu's the one who really loves me." Kikyo looked thoughtfully at her. "Bankotsu? The leader of the Band of Seven? He is your lover?" "Yes. Father hired him to protect me. And since he was with me a lot, I fell in love with him in time," Izayoi said. "And when is the marriage?" Kikyo asked, stroking Izayoi's hair. "I don't know. I tried asking Father why he was willing to just hand me over to Hakudoshi and he just got angry at me for 'questioning his authority'," Izayoi cried. "And then he told me not to argue against it any more."

Izayoi wiped away her tears and continued. "I was better off in the present time. I don't know why Father wanted me here. I've faced more problems here than I ever did in my entire life." Kikyo thought for a moment before replying,"In this life, one must go through these difficulties and obstacles in order to be stronger. I know this is true because even though I suffered much when I thought that Inuyasha had betrayed me, in the end that suffering was what made me stronger." Izayoi listened to her words carefully, remembering what her mother told her about how Naraku had tricked Inuyasha and Kikyo into thinking that they betrayed one another. "I think you should be heading home before Naraku finds out that you came here without his permission," Kikyo suggested. "Oh, that's right. He's already angry at me for questioning him," Izayoi said, getting up. "I guess I'll be leaving, then." "Don't worry Izayoi. Everything will eventually be back to normal," Kikyo said soothingly, patting Izayoi's head. Izayoi gave her a small smile before leaving back to the castle. However, Izayoi was unaware that a saimyosho had followed her and saw her talking to Kikyo.

Back at the castle, Naraku had just heard from the saimyosho that Izayoi had gone to meet Kikyo. As he heard Izayoi walk down the hallway, he called out,"Izayoi, come here." Izayoi paused outside the door. "How the hell did he find out I went out?" she thought. Nevertheless, she went into his room. "What is it?" "So you met Kikyo?" he asked. "How did you know?" Izayoi asked, confused. "I have my ways," Naraku said curtly. "So what did you two talk about?" Izayoi felt furious all of a sudden and snapped,"That none of your business!" "What did I tell you just last night Izayoi?" Naraku said, incensed. "I can't remember," Izayoi lied.

Naraku glared at her for a while before saying,"I assume that Kikyo was telling you all about how I can't be trusted, am I right?" "And she's right. If you actually cared about me, you wouldn't just give me away to whoever asks for my hand. And you say you're my father?!" Izayoi said incensed. Naraku smirked. "Don't you realize that Kikyo is manipulating you into going against me?" "You're one to talk! She's told me of all the evil things you did to everyone. And actually, I feel ashamed when people find out that you're my father! I love my mother much more than you! At least she's there for me whenever I need her!" Izayoi retorted. Naraku got up and Izayoi got a little startled.

Was she actually pissing him off? Then he said rather calmly,"You prefer your pathetic human mother?" "Pathetic?" Izayoi asked incredulously. "You're saying that my mother is pathetic?! Look who's talking!" "Izayoi, I'm a full demon. You, on the other hand, are a mere half-demon. Quite sad, actually. My own daughter...a useless half-demon," Naraku said cunningly. Izayoi gasped. She then said infuriated,"Oh please! Mother said that you were a pitiful half-demon as well before you got a hold of the stupid Shikon jewel!" "My Izayoi," Naraku said, laughing softly. "You speak of the jewel as if it was worthless. And did you know, if someone were to offer me...let's just say...another Shikon jewel in exchange for you, I would gladly accept the offer. That's how much I value it." Izayoi stared lividly at him.

"What I'm trying to say is that the Shikon jewel is worth much more than you, half-demon," he said silkily. Izayoi, furious at what she had just heard, left the room after he finished speaking. She walked outside and flopped down the pond, her usual hangout. She couldn't stop the tears flowing from her eyes. She couldn't believe what her father had just told her. He actually teased her for being a half-demon. "I wish I could just go back home!" Izayoi thought. "I was so much happier there than I am here!" She then felt someone walk up to her. She saw Hakudoshi's reflection in the water. "What's wrong, Izayoi?" he asked. "Do need to ask such a stupid question?" she said. He started to stroke her hair. "Just leave me alone," Izayoi said. "I really don't feel like arguing right now." "Fine. We'll talk some other time," Hakudoshi replied. He left without another word. Izayoi didn't get why the people here were so against half-demons. Even her father despised them. "I wish I could talk to Mom again," she said and suddenly burst into tears once more. "Why the hell did Dad even get involved with Mom? She is a pathetic human after all," she thought.

Hakudoshi was walking the hallways before going into Naraku's room. "Hakudoshi, what do you need? I'm very busy." Naraku was sitting in his room, sipping some tea calmly. He then glared at Hakudoshi with an annoyed look on his face. Hakudoshi stared at Naraku. Then he sighed, stepped in the room, and closed the door behind him. "It doesn't look like you're busy to me,"Hakudoshi stated smoothly. Naraku ignored his comment and took another sip of his tea. "Naraku, are you ignoring me?" There was still no answer from Naraku. "Naraku!" he said sharply.

Hakudoshi had gotten angry that Naraku wasn't paying even the slightest attention to him. Naraku gently placed his half-finished tea down on the low table in front of him before speaking up. "I heard you the first time, Hakudoshi. Now, please tell me what you want before I lose my patience." Hakudoshi stayed where he was for a moment, then sat down with Naraku. "I saw my beautiful Izayoi crying outside. Seems to me that something happened to between you two." Naraku knew where this was leading to. It was to be expected. "Izayoi and me just happened to...have a discussion that's all." Hakudoshi narrowed his eyes He moved a bit from his seat, a little closer to Naraku.

"I have the feeling that it was something more than a discussion." Naraku heaved a sigh and responded,"Is this going somewhere, Hakudoshi?" "You made her cry! What did you tell her?!" he asked, his voice rising steadily with every word he spoke. He had finally drawn the line and Naraku stood up and replied, "That...is none of your business." "Izayoi is my business. She is to be my bride," he argued back in defense. "That may be true, but you still are my incarnation and I possess your heart. If you dare test my patience Hakudoshi, I will kill you." Naraku left to the door. Hakudoshi, feeling insulted, retorted, "You forget that I can do as I please. I might even consider killing you if you get in my way." Naraku stopped, turned around to the face him, and said,"Are you threatening me? So foolish to think that you're my equal." Naraku left with a smirk on his face.