(Summer) Chapter 17

Start from the beginning

But, why? Why would he leave them? It was so blurry... It was saddening... It was filling him with anger and hate.

"Gil, you don't look so good," Teacher Bou said, placing a hand over Gil's forehead. His face was flushed red.

"I'm fine, Bou-sensei. No need to check up on me," Gil said as he took Teacher Bou's hand and lifted it away from him.

Teacher Bou suddenly became angry but was still worried. She knows that there's something wrong with him. "You're not fine, Gil. Talk to me, please. You can trust me."

Teacher Bou's words pierced Gil's heart and somehow, he starts to cry. He lowers his head and clenches his hands, stopping himself from wanting to cry. "I... I lost everything, sensei. I have to stand up for my mother and my brother."

"Gil..."

"It's heavy... The weight that I'm carrying right now... It's heavy."

'Now, Hinako is reminding me of my former self,' Gil looks up at the sky. 'If it wasn't for Bou-sensei, I wouldn't know where I would be right now.'

"Hinako, we're here," Gil said, standing in front of a door. They were at a two-storey apartment complex situated at the other side of Fuyuki. "Where are the keys?"

"Put...me down," Hinako said in a hush.

"Are you sure?"

Hinako just nodded as it seems that talking is too tiring for her. Gil helped her down and placed a hand around her waist while Hinako hang one arm over his shoulder. She, then, took out a key from her skirt pocket and inserted it inside the keyhole of the doorknob. The two of them went inside the apartment at a slow pace so that Hinako can catch up to Gil's steps.

"Thank you for helping me get home, senpai," Hinako said, smiling faintly. The fatigue was still visible on her face. "I don't have a shift at Ahnenerbe today but I must rest for tomorrow's work."

"Are you serious? You should be resting," Gil raised an eyebrow, wanting to scold Hinako for pushing herself too much.

"I have to. I don't have much sustenance, even financially," Hinako said as she was being helped to sit down on the bamboo matting of the living room floor. "Even with my grandparents' help, it's not enough for me to get by."

"Then, I'll help you pay your rent and your utilities."

"I...don't want to impose a lot on you, senpai," Hinako looked worried, ashamed from getting help from Gil. "I must pay my own living expenses."

Gil grit his teeth in anger. "What kind of a father that leaves his own daughter like this?! Your father is a coward, Suzuhana. He should rot in hell!"

"S-Senpai?"She jumps at the sudden rise in volume of her senior's voice.

"You're not alone, Suzuhana. All right? Do you still remember what we talked about that night?"

"That...night..."

June 04, 2016 - Evening

"Douji-senpai?"

Gil was standing right in front of Hinako who has just finished her shift at Ahnenerbe.