Chapter Eleven : Come along Pond

BAYLOR

That night, we ended up falling asleep in my bed again. Err, on my bed, sometime during our Dr Who marathon.  She was the one to wake me up, saying I had a guest waiting at the door.

"Let me go brush my teeth. Tell them to come on in." I walk into the bathroom, not bothering to put a shirt on. If they wanted me decent looking they should'nt of come so early. My hair is a mess, so I rinse it out in the sink and comb it back with my fingers. Char said she likes it better natural anyway. I hear muffled conversation in the other room, which confuses me because Char isn't the most conversing person. I hurry up with my teeth and spray just a spat on of cologne. I always gotta be clean and fresh.

I turn the corner and step dead in my tracks. She should've ignored the door.

"What are you doing here, dad."

He looks from me to Char repeatedly, the disgust apparent on his face. She excuses herself out into the hallway, probably going to Kira's.  Thank God for such an anti social roommate.

"Did I interrupt something?" He asks with the suspension evident in his voice. Before I can answer he continues. "There's plenty of women here, you don't have to go for THAT one."

"What one? Char? She's my roommate." I defend.

"Oh good." He immediately perks up. "Glad to see New York hasn't made you lose your sense. Now, the reason I'm here." He continues, and I'm fuming. How dare he? "A client called me all the way from Rhode Island, can you believe it? Apparently my work has been well recognized." He gloats. "Anyway, I just happened to pass here on my way, so I thought I would come check on my son." He smiles.

"Well, here I am." I say. I don't try to fake anything. He doesn't even notice my annoyance.

"How's school?" He presses, walking around the apartment in unwelcome noseyness.

"It hasn't started yet, not for another week."

"THE school, Dean." He retorts, using my first name. Eew. "Have you met with the coaches yet? They were all very eager to have you."

"Only a couple. The guy who played with you against UNY jumped me after the first 5 minutes of being here."

"Ah yes, Jacob. Still hyped up I assume? He landed a pretty good position here, but nothing compared to where you'll end up." He says smugly. It's like he's saying this about a bet he's made, not his son. I feel no pride. "How did you end up with-" he nods to the bathroom, "that."

I'm beginning to lose my cool. Why I'm so defensive of her I don't know. "I'm very happy with her actually. She's a terrific person."

"But of course you don't mean 'with her'." He presses.

"Why does it matter dad? Charlotte is a very intelligent and creative girl. She has plenty of positive assets." And isnt a deceitful whore, I think. He laughs and steps toward me to put his hands on my shoulders. "Well son you've got a surprise, and you won't have to degrade yourself to these punk girls."

"What are you talking about?" I try to step back.

"Layla Murrows." I think my jaw is on the floor and I'm too stunned to pick it up. Layla. No no no very bad no! "What." I stammer.

"Yep. I told Kevin you'd say that." He chuckles. "He told me that Layla was getting transferred and that she wanted it to be a secret until she could see your personally. But she decided to stay home until sooner to starting, and I beat her to ya. Congratulations." I don't think I'm breathing. I need to sit. I need to stand. I need to move to Canada.

"Dad I.." I can't even think. "Well, have fun son. We will be coming to your first game by the way." He says, proceeding to leave.

"No you won't." I blurt out.

"Excuse me?" He pauses and turns around. "You bet your ass we will."

"You haven't come to a game since freshman year!"

"Well my boy is in college now!" He grins widely. The same as mine, but his is cold.

"You're not serious?" I say floored. "Dad things are different now. I'm not, I can't.." I can't form words. "What if I wanted to be with Char? What if I wanted to be a writer? Would you still be supportive?"

"Ha. Good one. I'll see you in a few weeks. Give Layla's mom a kiss for me will you?" He winks and shuts the door behind him. Char walks slowly around the corner.

"Woah." She whistles. I get up and walk over to her, wrapping my arms tightly around her waste. I need to hold something, feel stable and secure. I need something as un-Florida as possible to balance me out.

"Layla?" She murmurs into my chest, probably freaking out over this closeness or thinking my heart is about to explode.

"She's.. A girl, from Florida." She cannot follow me here.  "Just trust me."