Chapter Six : 8 lbs of peanut butter

BAYLOR

"I think we should go to the grocery store." Char speaks up as we reach the Chevy. "We can't go out every time you're hungry."

"I guess you're right. I might die of starvation before we got there." I wink.

"Oh gods." She rolls her eyes and picks up a case of cassettes by her seat. "Seriously?"

"Hey, careful with those." I take them from her and pull out a Motley Crue tape. "You like?"

"Hmm, not bad Bayboy." She grins as we take off down the street.

The shopping trip was rather disastrous and awesome. It took us half an hour to find the store, and another hour and a half to fight with Char over why I couldn't get the megapack of Peanut Butter. 

"Char. Look. Peanut butter." I say excitedly like a child.

"And?" 

"It's on sale." 

"Wonderful." She mutters under her breathe.

"I need it." 

She finally turns around to look at where i've been pointing. "Why, pray, do you need a double pack of 4lb peanut butters?" 

 "Look here Princess. I know I'm built like a greek god but I had to work for these bad boys. You think I can just summon muscle from thin air? Nah. Peanut butter is more than just deliciously enhanced butter of the peanut people. This is rock solid protein baby!" I lift my shirt, beckoning for her to take a swing. She giggles as she hits-quite firmly actually-and feels the wall of abdominal glory. "See? Besides, I make a mean PB&J. We're getting it." She throws up her hands in defeat.

We finally make our way to the check out.

 "Did you find everything you need?" The peppy cashier asks.

 "Yes ma'am, we certainly did." I charm automatically. I reach over and pinch Char's side, causing a bubble of laughter to escape her pouty lips. 

"You kids are just too cute." The cashier fawns. "How long have you been a couple?" 

This time I'm the one turning pink. "Um, ha actually.."

 "About 29 hours." Char chimes in. I can't help but laugh. She tosses a look of sarcasm at me as I try to fight the strange feeling in my stomach. Surely, those can't be butterflies. I hadn't even thought about her like that. I mean, I acknowledge her beauty, and that fiery attitude is definitely something else. But.. 

"You okay?" She nudges me.

"What?" I smile fakely.

 "You were staring at that cart over there with intense concentration. Are you trying to move it with your mind or..?"

 "Oh." I flush. "No, just thinking about that gorgeous smile.." I grin widely, and a smile creeps across her face," ..that our lovely cashier has." I give her a wink as her lip twitches. 

"That'll be $78.37," the woman says. " Cash or debit?"

 "Debit," I say, handing her the silver card.  I catch Char looking over at my wallet.

"Um, I was going to help." She says awkwardly.

"It's on me. Don't worry." I flash her a smile that she returns with furrowed brows.

"I think we should split it between us, that's fair." 

"Really, Char, I don't mind. It's fine, okay?"