Chapter Three : Opposites don't attract

BAYLOR

She stands back and glares daggers at me, sizing me up like she's debating whether to tack me to the wall along with her posters. I smooth my shirt. Not gonna lie, this girl is pretty cute. Also not gonna lie, but she terrifies me, in possibly a good way.

"Char." She says finally, staring at my hand until I drop it. I stick my hands in my back pockets and grin. Her cheeks turn pink as she rolls her eyes and stalks over to her bed.

My mind is already working in competitive mode, analyzing and strategizing, trying to win at whatever this game is. I stop myself. No more games, I promised myself. You are no longer in your parents shadow. You don't have to compete anymore.

"Um." I cough slightly. She doesn't look up. "I'm gonna go grab my things. Please don't lock me out or stick iguanas in my bed."

"I don't even like iguanas." She answers immediately, then shuts her mouth, like she's questioning why she actually acknowledged my existence. I slide my shades on and give my all American boy smile, striding out of the room with a pink cheeked punk fuming behind me.

"Baylor Cole!" A voice booms behind me half way down the hall. A man in sweat pants and an Under Armour tee jogs up to me. "Coach Mccally." He introduces himself. Oh crap.

"Hey man, what's up?" I act excited. I begin to doubt I will ever make it out of the Cole line of fire. "You played with my dad, right?"

"Hell yea baby, and we beat the hell out of NYU!" He fist pumps the air. Uh okay. "So anyway, I checked the registrar and saw you weren't on my list. What's up man? No football?" Double crap.

"Uh actually.." I try to form words but can't think of anything. Wonderful time for a writer to lose his common English.

"Hey man I understand, football is great but if you have a calling with a different sport then by all means chase that dream. Hey I gotta jet but it was good meeting you! You let me know if you change your mind!" He swats my butt as he jogs onward. I jet before he comes back.

Annamaria shines like a black pearl in the parking lot. I begin stacking boxes when another guy walks up, this one with a relieving amount of less energy.

"Hey man need some help?" He asks genuinely.

"Sure bruh, thanks." He grabs a few boxes before following me back inside.

"Charlie Webster." He says, holding out a hand. I shake it firmly.

"Baylor Cole." I grin. "Uh, you a freshman as well?"

"I started during summer. Economics major at your service. Yourself?"

"English. Isn't it obvious?" He laughs, and i'm not sure whether he thinks i'm kidding or not.

"I saw you upstairs. Is that your girlfriend?" He gives me a curious look.

"Actually, I knew nothing about my roommate until today. It was definitely, unexpected." I confess.

"Looks like you're in for a hell of a semester. It'd be hard rooming with a girl, even harder when it's a girl like that." I try to force a smile, but I'm beginning to feel guilty. "You're always welcome to chill with me and my brother Mike. We're just a couple rooms away."

"Hey man, I appreciate it." I shake his hand again as we reach the room.

"Also, I know it's still early, but there's a party on friday for all newcomers, hosted by yours truly and a few others. Consider yourself VIP if you're interested." He nods to me and leaves me to my business. I find the door is-thankfully-unlocked. "Miss me?"