Flatliner

"Where are we going?"

"You think I'm going to tell you after I said it was a surprise?"

"I asked nicely." I pouted but he didn't give in. "Come on Cole! Just give me a hint please."

"I'm sorry I can't do that but we'll be there in about twenty minutes so you don't have much longer to wait."

I gave up trying and turned the radio up. A song was just ending and then Luke's new single started playing. "Hey this is the first time I've heard them play this on the radio."

"Really? Where have you been? I've heard it over a couple dozen times on radio already."

"When you're stuck in an office all day without being able to listen to the radio, you tend to miss a lot. Honestly, I'm kind of getting bored with work. It's not what it was when I first started the business."

"You are? Why are you getting bored with it?"

"I don't know. It just seems to be the same thing everyday. In Georgia every client wanted something different. Here it's always the same so it gets boring because I never get to look for anything new."

"People are really that different between there and here?"

"Different enough."

"Are you wishing you were still there so you would enjoy your work?"

"Absolutely not. I love it here and it's perfect for us. I guess part of me is thinking that having this business isn't my dream anymore."

"Do you want to get rid of it? What is your dream if that's not it?"

"I can't just up and sell it right now. I need to have a job. And I don't know what my dream is. All I know is that this isn't it. Not like it was in college anyway."

"I want you to be happy with whatever you do. And if the business isn't what you want, sell it. We'll make it through until you find something else."

"I can't do that. We have the house and bills and money that needs to go out constantly. I don't want to leave it all up to you."

"We'll be fine, I promise. You need to do what makes you happy just as much as I do. I don't want you sacrificing what you want because I haven't signed yet. That's not fair to you. So please, sell the business and find what makes you happy." He put his hand on my leg to try to let me know that it was going to be okay to do that but it didn't make me feel any better.

"So are we almost there now?"

"Yep. It's up here on the left."

"A store?"

"Not just any store. A furniture store. I know you've been wanting new furniture since we moved in so I thought we could make a day of it. We'll pick everything out today and then they'll deliver it tomorrow."

I faked a smile and said that it was a great idea. After what I just said about not wanting the business anymore and him saying that it'd be okay if I sold it, how could he think that spending all this money on furniture would be okay? I wasn't going to sell it yet anyway but if we spend money like this, I'm not going to be able to sell it for a while.

I walked through the store following Cole as he pointed out couches and sectionals. Then he moved onto chairs and tables and miscellaneous items that he thought would be cool for the house. It was true that I had wanted new stuff for our house but when we thought we were going to have a baby, we put it off because we weren't going to have the money. I think he assumed that now that we don't have to pay for a child's expenses we can spend the money on this. That wasn't the case.