Broke Down

Cole looked and then turned us around before I could read it. He looked at the other guy who had already gotten up and was headed to where we were standing. "What's your name?" I was able to turn my head to see the name when he asked that.

"Its Jack Chase." That's what it said on the card; 'Baby Chase'

"Congratulations, man. You're a dad." With that Cole grabbed my hand and nearly tugged me toward the elevator. He pushed the button and we stood there waiting.

"I'm so sorry, Cole." I rubbed his arm to try to help him but when the elevator doors opened he shoved it away. He still had a hold of my left hand but he felt distant. I was silent until we walked outside. "I know you were excited about this and you not knowing anything wasn't fair to you. But, you're going to get through it. I promise."

He didn't reply, just kept on walking toward the car. I asked if he wanted me to drive but he shook his head no. Maybe he figured the driving would help clear his head. We got in and as soon as he started the car he took my hand again, squeezed it, and said the only four words he'd have to say on our entire ride home. "I've still got you."

We arrived back home and headed straight inside. "I think I'm going to grab a shower. I'll be back out soon."

"Okay, come here first." I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tight. I pulled back and gave him a kiss before letting him walk away. Except the kiss was different, empty. I understood though, he was hurting and he probably wasn't going to put much into anything for some time.

I settled myself in the kitchen. I sat there with my chin rested on my hands, staring until I heard a car door shut. I looked out the window and saw that it was Luke, Caroline, and Carter. I went to the door and opened it. I leaned against the door frame waiting for them to get out and come in. Luke was first to make it to the house.

"How are you already home? You couldn't have brought the baby home yet, right? Cole still there and you had to run back here to grab something? When can he--"

"Luke, cool it. I know you've got questions but you can save them. They're not worth asking." I was going to continue but Carter interrupted.

"So where's the kid? Hope for your sake he isn't taking after Cole yet."

"I--"

"Am I the only one who isn't going to be obnoxious? Let her answer one question at a time. She can start with telling us his name." Caroline said as she got up on the porch beside Luke.

"Guys. Like I just told Luke, you can save your questions. Its not worth your breath asking. I'll tell you why in a minute. Come in and be quiet. Cole's up in the shower but I don't want to retell the story for him to hear. He's upset right now."

"Why?"

"What's wrong."

"Yeah, what's up?"

"It wasn't his baby.

"What!?" They all said in unison.

"Shh, I really want him to have some time to clear his head without having to hear about it. And yes, we got there last night and everything was fine. This morning, about an hour before the baby was born, there was another guy in the waiting room. We started talking with him and long story short, turns out he was there for the same reason we were. Except he knew there was a possibility that the baby wasn't his. Cole didn't. When he was born we looked at his name and..." I shook my head because I couldn't finish.

"Okay, its alright. We can figure out the rest." Caroline tried to make sure I stayed calm.

"I just feel terrible. I'm not sure what to do now."

"Can I come talk to you out back for a minute?" Luke motioned for me to follow him.

"What's up?"

"What do you mean you don't know what to do? You know him better than anyone."

"You don't know how excited he became to have a child. He never really showed it."

"Exactly why I know you'll be able to help him through this. Even though you say he never showed it, you knew it was there."

"Luke, he spent over three hours in the nursery yesterday. Just sitting there, taking everything in, smiling. He looked so happy and then today when he found out that the baby might not be his, that all went away and it just got worse when it was confirmed." I started to break down. I sat down in one of the deck chairs and Luke put his hand on my shoulder.

"It's got to be taking a toll on you too, Bridgette. You have to let it out just as much as Cole does."

"But, he didn't yet."

"What?"

"He didn't cry, he wasn't angry, he didn't have any emotion at all when we left. Or when we got back home. It was like he shut down. Each time I tried to say something or comfort him, he'd turn the radio up or shift in his seat like he didn't want me to touch him. He had my hand all the way out of the hospital and all of the way home. So I don't understand why he wouldn't want me to try to help talk him through it. And if I don't understand that, how am I supposed to know how to make him happy again after something like this?"

"Sounds to me like you just need to be there. He wants you around him right now, even if he doesn't want to talk about what happened. Look, you've helped him out so many times in the past that I know you'll find a way to help him now."

"Those were different. He was in trouble all of those times. Now... now he's hurt."

"You're right that the situations were different but how you helped him then and how you are going to help him now aren't any different. You are going to do whatever you have to do just like you always have. Do you remember when you two first got to Nashville and I came over to talk with Cole but he wasn't here and we got into a conversation instead? I asked you how you were okay with everything and how you were going to get through it. What did you tell me?"

"I don't know, Luke. I'm not sure of anything right now." He pulled a chair in front of me and sat down and just looked at me. He wanted an answer and I knew he wouldn't leave without it. I sighed. "I said that we were going to get through it no matter what because we had each other and that's all that was important. And I said that I wasn't worried because God would never put us through anything we couldn't handle."

"And you still believe that, right?"

"Of course, I would never not believe that. Because it's true. Nobody will ever be put through something stronger than them, just things that will make them stronger."

"Then I think you'll know exactly what to do." He looked in through the glass doors. "I see Cole is in the kitchen now. I'm going to go in and make an excuse that we have to leave so you and him have some time. You do whatever you feel is best in this situation and it'll all fall into place." I nodded and he gave me a hug. Over the years he had become like a big brother to Cole and I guess that applied to me too.

We walked in and no one was talking so Luke did as he said he would and then it was just Cole and I again. I plopped down on the couch and flipped the TV to the first movie I could find. I don't even know what the name of it was. I decided that if Cole wanted to be in here too, he'd come in eventually. I didn't want to try to push him into talking.

Fifteen minutes later I was almost sleeping when I heard Cole. "Can you sit up for a sec?" I did and he sat down behind me. I slid myself back to him so my back was against his chest. He loosely wrapped his arms around me and I took hold of his hands with mine. I felt him kiss the top of my head and when he did I could tell he was finally letting something out and I allowed him to do it without me speaking. This was what both of us needed.

So I left ya hanging a little longer than planned but I'm still away and didn't have all of the time I thought I would. Here it is though. The baby wasn't Cole's. What are your thoughts on that? What's to come next now that they won't have the responsibility of a child?

Thanks to dl_fan for beta reading! Also thanks for all votes and comments! I love every single one😊