No Can Left Behind

"Thanks for helping me out with this Caroline. Who's idea was it to have this party anyway?" We were preparing food and I was seriously regretting the fact that I didn't just order it.

"It was your idea remember? To have this party for Cole."

"Who's Cole? I don't think I know anyone by that name." She smacked my arm with the plastic spoon she was holding.

"Oh stop. You know you'll be glad you did this for him in the end."

"I know I will. But for now, this is going to help me get through all of this preparing." I told her holding up a beer. "Did you want one?"

"No thanks, I ca--" She cut herself off but I knew what she was going to say. I flicked my head toward her and grabbed her arm.

"Oh my gosh! You're pregnant!?" She hung her head and it looked like she mentally cursed herself like she wasn't supposed to say anything yet. "Well? You are, right?"

"Yes but I haven't told Luke yet so you have to stay quiet about it."

"Why haven't you told him?"

"Because I only found out this afternoon. We were already going out to dinner tomorrow so that's when I was going to tell him."

"Oh, that's so awesome Caroline! I'm so happy for you guys." I gave her a hug and then she got back to what she was doing. "Wait, how far along are you?"

"Two and a half months already. I was surprised when my doctor told me that I was in fact pregnant because I had taken three tests when I would've been 6 weeks and all were negative. But, I was feeling super weird yesterday and I thought that I should go get checked at the doctor."

"Are you excited?"

"Of course I am but I'm also nervous which I'm sure is normal." She hesitated before asking me a question. "I know that what happened with you guys is a sensitive subject but--"

"It's okay Caroline. If you're going to ask if I was the same way, yes. Yes I was. I was nervous the entire time and I wasn't even the one who was pregnant. But I knew it was all going to be worth the nerves."

"I'm sorry, you are having this party to get yours and Cole's minds off of this and I'm asking you about it."

"It's fine, really. I can talk to you about it and I know it might even come up tonight at some point too but it won't be a focus. I'm hoping his work won't be a focus either."

"Trouble with that?"

"Sort of. Carter's got a lot on his plate with trying to be with Luke and finding time to help Cole at the studio so they aren't as far along as they hoped they would be by now. And Cole is worried that they started working on things too quickly because of the fact he hasn't signed with anyone yet. He doesn't want their time, money, and hard work to go to waste if he doesn't end up getting signed. I told him he worries too much because there is going to be someone to notice him soon."

"You're right. I listened to the couple of demos that Luke had of his and he sounded great. I told Luke that they sounded so much alike in the way that you can tell they love it. They both have so much passion for it and it shows without even seeing them sing." I nodded in agreement and we went back to work.

When Cole got back he was surprised and asked me why I had put the party together. I was shocked that he didn't seem to have a problem with it. "I wondered why those two wanted me to go out with them at seven. It was such an odd time but now I understand." He grabbed my hand and I leaned into him before breaking away and going to socialize.

Only fifteen people had showed up but it was fine that way. The men and women were having their own conversations and it was nice to be able to chat nonchalantly.