Down Home Boys

"Are you almost ready to go?" Cole peeked his head around the corner.

"Yup. Just gotta slide my shoes on. I'll be out in a second." We were about to head to the Braves game, despite what Candace had said to me the other day. I decided to let what she said about me slide and I pushed aside the thought of Cole actually thinking those things of me.

Just as I said, I was outside in seconds. Cole was already waiting for me in the truck. Fortunately we weren't going to have to pick Candace up because she was just going to meet us there. I was happy that I was going to have some time to talk to Cole.

"So, what's up? I feel like we haven't talked in forever."

"I know but at least when you do get back to work, it won't be extensive."

"Thank goodness. I'm never taking on more than 4 clients at the same time again. Your schedule has seemed to calm down too."

"Yeah. Mine wasn't as bad as your's but I'm still relieved that I'm not gone every night. Maybe we can start hanging out again."

"That'd be nice. I think that's the longest we've gone without being able to see each other or hangout."

"Don't forget the time you went to that summer camp. That was a little longer."

"Right, the time my mom forced me to try to make new friends. Didn't work though. The entire time I was there I was in the cabin reading. Or thinking of what we would've been doing if I were home."

"And she wasn't too happy when I was the first person you came and saw after you got home. Especially because she was hoping you would forget about me. Do you remember what I did to where she didn't want you to keep hanging out with me?"

"You know, for the life of me, I can't. But once she realized that I wasn't letting you go, she came around. She loves you now."

"I don't know if I'd go that far. I think she is okay with me." He chuckled and I just smiled because I knew he was wrong.

"So you didn't answer me before. What have you been doing these past months? Have you seen the guys?"

"No. I've been spending most of the time with Candace. All of my other time I've been sleeping so I won't wear myself out." That's just what I wanted to hear. Not.

"Have you talked to Luke since he moved?"

"Yeah. But he's got a lot going on right now so I've only heard from him a few times."

"That's so great that he's following his dreams. It must be a good thing that he's so busy. Getting all of that work done is probably helping tremendously."

I noticed once I said something about Luke following his dreams, Cole got quiet. He wasn't happy with his job even if he tried saying he was. What was weird was that I didn't know what his dreams were. I knew he had them but he kept them to himself.

I knew to change the subject instead of asking him about it though. "How are your brothers and their families? I haven't asked about them in a while. And it seems like they're busy too. Nobody has gotten the chance to talk to each other."

"I think they've got more of an excuse though. They've got kids. It's gonna be some time before I want to know what that's like."

"No kidding. Same here. It's enough I have to deal with you right now. I don't need anything on top of that." I kept my focus out the window so he wouldn't see my smirk. I was able to see him shake his head through the mirror though and that got me to laugh.

"But once you get married, you won't have me to deal with anymore so you'd be all set." My smile faded.

"What do you think gonna happen when I get married? I'm going to forget about you or something?"