[MBW]- Chapter 19.

Start from the beginning

"You can think what you want but you'll know the truth soon enough." He winked, and I gasped before smacking his chest.

A few moments of silence passed before he talked again,

"Can you believe how far we've come since then? It's actually impressive." He said.

Not just since that day. We had come a long way since high school. We'd known each other for over six years but the amount of progress we had made in five days was insane.

"Yeah. If someone had told me that I'd be friends with you back then, that would have been the last sentence they ever uttered." I joked.

"Is that all we are? Friends?" He asked. He was finally addressing the elephant in the room and I was thankful I didn't have to be the one to start the topic.

I sighed and moved my legs in the water. While doing that, my feet knocked into his. Instead of moving his away, however, he locked our legs together. It was uncomfortable but somehow nice.

"I don't know, Ethan." It was true. There were feelings but I didn't know what we were.

When he didn't say anything, I took that as my cue to keep talking but I had very little to say.

"You scare me." I finally managed to get out. Not trusting to make eye contact, I looked up at the night sky and saw a few stars twinkling. It was difficult to ever be able to get such a sight in NYC.

"Why?" He questioned.

"Because I'm able to tell you things that I can't even tell myself. I'm okay with opening myself to you and that itself scares me to death. It just...means I'm, I don't know, you make me vulnerable."

"That's not a bad thing. I don't trust that many people but you happen to one of the very few that I do. It's a nice feeling to know you can." He said and I nodded, glad that it wasn't some one-sided therapy session where only I did the talking.

"Hey." He whispered and made me turn to face him completely.

He grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. His hands were a little rough but I liked how they felt. From the smile on his face, he did too.

"I just want you to give me a chance and show you that I'm not the jerk you think I am or the manwhore. I care about you and no matter what you choose, I'll be there to listen." He said, and my heart melted at his admission.

I was, once again, unsure of what to say. He didn't seem like he needed me to make a decision there and then but I didn't want to drag it out any further, either. It was far too tiring.

"I can't even imagine my life without you anymore and that's even more terrifying. The fights, the laughs, and everything in between. I don't want to depend on anyone. But, I don't want to lose this." I admitted.

He nodded and pushed behind that one stubborn strand of hair behind my ears as he always did.

"Yeah, I understand. But you don't have to rely on me. I would never want you to. You're your own person and that's one of the things I admire most about you. There are hundreds of girls who'd much rather just cling to my arm but you don't do that. Hell, you're close to turning me into one of those guys that cling to you. I damn well need someone who can call me out on my shit like you do." We both laughed at the last bit. He surely needed someone to bring down his ego a few notches.

"This is all just too quick for me. Two days ago we wanted to bite each other's head off and now..." I trailed off. I was afraid if I carried on I'd admit my love for him or something. I didn't even know if I felt that for him but it sure as hell felt pretty damn close to it.