The Faerie's Betrayal

The very next morning Leah told her friends about her encounter with Sebastian last night and all the various facts he had revealed about his location and on how to destroy him and his Endarkened men.

Discreetly, she left out the part where Sebastian had bargained this information for sex with her. Clary, though kept quiet throughout Leah's narration, mentally also knew that besides giving her the information, Sebastian had also gotten physical with Leah last night; she had seen them with her own eyes.

When Leah had finished with what she had to say, Isabelle said "So, we go to Edom, then."

"How casually you call upon the idea - as if we were talking about going to Las Vegas." Jace commented.

"Well, I see we haven't got much of an option anyway." Isabelle persisted. "Jocelyn, Luke, Meliorn, Magnus and Raphael have gone missing. Who knows which out of the 5 are still alive. And Jocelyn can anytime be Turned into an Endarkened. Meanwhile Sebastian is threatening to burn the city down if we do not hand over Clary, Jace and Leah. If there is one option left, we have to go and kill him."

"Kill him, how?" Alec asked, agitated.

"We have Jace. He's got heavenly fire in his veins, and I believe it shall be sufficient to kill Jonathan Morgenstern." Leah said.

"If that is what Sebastian told you yesterday, then I am pretty sure it is not going to be as simple as it sounds." Clary shook her head. "My brother plans things with a lot of details; he might've already made arrangements to possess Jace, probably trap him, blackmail him or even kill him before he can do any harm to Sebastian. All I know is that it will be a really challenging mission."

"Isn't that what we are born to do?" Jace smirked.

"No shadowhunter has ever set foot on the lands of the demons, and the ones who have have never managed to return." Alec explained in a serious tone. "It is worth a lot of risks. Once you enter a demonic dimension, you have no certainty about when and how you are going to return."

"Well, we're going to get killed anyway when Sebastian sends his army of thousand Endarkened Warriors, demons and further alliances to trample down the city of Alicante. We might as well go down in the process of trying to brandish the evil." Simon offered.

"He's got a point." Isabelle said.

"Unfortunately, I have to agree with you for this once." Jace said. "We should....make a trip to Edom. Who says aye?"

Leah's jaw hardened. "I do." She said, and the others joined.

***

The 5 tried to get some real sleep on the last night they would be spending on warm mattresses with comfortable pillows and blankets, before they left for Edom. Leah meanwhile spent her night writing sentimental letters for Tessa, Jem, Julian and Emma, and then left them under their pillows.

After she had finally dropped her mother's letter (Tessa had come to Idris immediately after she had been told the news about Brother Zachariah), Leah could hold her tears no more.

She sobbed silently on the roof of the house where Jem and Tessa resided, and returned in the morning in time to pack all that she needed - weapons, food and spare clothes mostly. Leah kept a calm face throughout their journey to the Seelie Court, where from behind the curtain of thorns, Leah and her group eavesdropped upon the Seelie Queen bartering Mark Blackthorn to the Wild Hunt.

Leah was especially shocked by the betrayal of the faeries and how the Queen had sold Mark off to the Hunt - probably because she was used to knowing every single thing which the rest of the world did not know.

Leah desperately wanted to leap forward and actually kill the Queen for sentencing her friend to such a torturous fate, but Alec and Jace somehow managed to hold her back. However, when Gwen had been dismissed and Meliorn had made his appearance instead, the 5 were immediately caught eavesdropping.

Not that either of them cared. Alec killed Meliorn as if he were a toy, and very soon they had held the Seelie Queen at the tip of their sword, where they forcefully made her speak the truth about how to reach Edom.

The Queen quietly told the directions with a smile, definitely meant to make fun of Leah, who the woman knew was pretending that she could face the ancestral dangers of Edom, when indeed Leah could not - to everyone's utter obliviousness.

Inside the Vortex, the 6 walked for some time, after which Simon's vampire vision caught a frail figure in the distance. As they approached the figure, Leah noticed to her wild surprise that it was Mark Blackthorn. "Mark!" She ran to him worriedly. "Mark! Mark!" She took his tired, haggard face in her hands.

"Leah." He smiled faintly. "Won't you kiss me, the way we used to, to annoy father?"

Leah laughed and kissed him playfully. "Mark. What did they do to you?"

"Everything. Leah. I . . . I am now a part of the Wild Hunt."

"We heard the Queen bartering you with Gwen." She said. "Mark . . . .it won't be completely alright, of course. The faeries will mock you for being different; you will be tortured and pained and . . . ." Leah inhaled from her nose. "But you will also find some of the things which you had never been offered in the Shadow World. You will also experience ecstasy, high, love, addiction. Just, just don't forget me. Don't forget your siblings - and Emma. They miss you, Mark. They need you to come back. We all do."

"You talk as if I am permanently stuck here."

"It will seem as if you are. But I have faith in you, Mark Blackthorn. The Shadowhunters may or may not send help, but you - you influence your own destinies. You will one day be back amongst your siblings and Emma. I . . . I believe you will." Leah was breaking now.

"Leah, don't cry." Mark wiped at her cheek. "If I am trapped inside faerieland forever and this is the last time I shall see you, then give me a good last impression. Tell me, I will escape this hopeless world of darkness. Tell me that you will help me."

"You will escape this hopeless world of darkness. I can see you doing that. But when you escape that world, you will still carry some of it around yourself. The oath to Gwen does not mean nothing. Even if you are not a part of the Wild Hunt anymore, the faeries have nevertheless taken a part of you that they will never return."

"You give me hope, adulterated in disappointment and fear. But, it is hope regardless. Thank you, Leah Ravenscar." He replied.

Jace, Clary, Alec, Isabelle and Simon watched in silence. Jace finally stepped forward and said "Mark Blackthorn. You are not just a faerie. You are also a shadowhunter. You are not one to be claimed by anyone - be it, the Clave or the Wild Hunt. You are an independent person who has the ability and the right to make his own decisions. Just remember this, no one can claim you; no one can say that you belong to them. Because you belong only to yourself, your siblings and the family you had grown up with.

"When you don't feel satisfied by the world you are living in, remember the faces of your beautiful siblings. Remember their personalities and traits. Remember them, because that is the world you are meant to be in. Those are the only people who will truly love you in this world and never abandon you to face any hardship by yourself. If you visualise them - and yourself with them, there is no reason why you can't do it. When you can see it, will it and believe in it, then you can surely become it.

"I am certain that one day, you shall overcome the troubles you are facing now and live in the world you had most desired. You only have to believe in what you wish to accomplish. Escape this vortex; go back to Idris and tell the Clave about the faeries' betrayal. And the faeries will never lay a hand on you again." Jace spoke so persuasively, Mark's eyes widened and he nodded his head.

"We have to leave, now." Jace said, getting up and bidding a gentlemanly farewell to Mark. Leah embraced her friend one last time, after which the group of 6 proceeded ahead to the mist - a very dreamy, pleasant mist in the distance. The Mist Of Your Deepest Desires.