The Wrecked Side of Jace Morgenstern

A few days later, Leah was blindly roaming around the Institute, humming to herself. Robert, Maryse and Max had come back from Idris. In the past few days Max and Isabelle had both geeked about mundane comic books (Max was born a comic-book-fanboy, and Izzy had picked up a lot from Simon's chatters). Leah had taken the post of training Max and her other siblings for warfare (being the most skilled warrior in the household, and thus the perfect replacement of Hodge.

Now, stealing around the Institute corridors, Leah caught Maryse's voice from one room. After eavesdropping for a few minutes, Leah made out Maryse accusing Jace of being Valentine's spy - Valentine's weapon, that had been thrown at the heart of the Institute to inflict damage.

Jace angrily came out of the door after some time, and Leah grasped his arm in desperation "Jace, she cannot have meant what she said."

"She did mean it." He replied hardly.

"Jace, listen. Maryse is already too stressed; trust me, she's got bigger motives behind just 'exhiling' you from here."

"Yeah, well, like what, Leah?" Jace tried to argue hotly.

"Please; she'll only realise later how hard she's been onto you. Maryse is like your mother; she loves you. Don't let her words affect you this much."

"Yes, she is like my mother - which is why her words affect me this much." And saying so, Jace turned, walked downstairs and out of the Institute.

"Jace! Jace! Wait, you can't go!" Leah shouted, but it was wasted.

She groaned, entangling her fingers into her soft dark hair in irritation. After a second thought, she rushed back into her room and called Clary.

"Hello?" Clary's voice sounded extraordinarily happy - as if she had been having a good time before Leah had called her.

"Leah Ravenscar, here. Honestly, I hate to call you - especially to disturb your disgustingly romantic moment with your best friend on the bed, but it's an emergency - regarding your brother slash dream boyfriend. Jace is really troubled and I have a sixth sense that he's going to kick a couple of werewolf asses right now. Please try to save him."

"Wait! Hang on! What's that supposed to mean? What's happened to Jace?" Clary asked, getting worried.

"He's really pissed right now. Maryse might've as well kicked him out of the Institute. And he might go over and trouble the werewolves now. Therefore I request you to go stop him - and comfort him." Leah repeated, slower this time.

"Why am I supposed to do this job?"

"'Cause he's your brother, honey."

Clary groaned "Where do I find him?"

"Ask that werewolf whom you're lodging with." Leah replied haughtily like it should've been obvious, and then hung up.

***

Leah was tensed ever since Jace left the Institute in such broken spirits, but she got all the more scared when Jace returned back to confront Maryse, and arrived right in time to face the Inquisitor.

Imogen Herondale was an unpleasant old woman who (ironically, thought Leah) possessed a strong hatred for Jace. While she interviewed him (who couldn't resist throwing his snarky wits and sarcasm at her) in the presence of Maryse, Isabelle and Alec listened from outside.

Leah, though didn't want to miss it, knew that her siblings would give her the details later, so meanwhile engaged herself in story-telling Max to sleep (she started telling him the story of James Herondale, the shy, demon-blooded boy who was more close to his books than to anything else in the world; she couldn't finish the entire story though.

After Max was asleep, Leah received a call from Emma Carstairs from LA, and they talked about various things, including Emma's best friend, the naughty Blackthorn children and all the fun they did.

When Emma finally hung up, Alec and Isabelle ran into Leah's room with the dreadful news: Jace has been sent to the Silent City prisons for tonight because of his bad conduct.

Leah immediately wanted to run out of the Institute gates, go to the City of Bones, beg her father to permit her entrance and then talk to Jace. But she knew she would have to ditch her plan if she wanted to keep a low profile and a good impression in front of the Clave and the Inquisitor.

So, the only thing to be done was to wait - which apparently got cut short, when Valentine Morgenstern massacred the Silent City, killed many Silent Brothers and took away the Mortal Sword that very night.

Leah, Izzy and Alec set out at the break of dawn to the Silent City to rescue Jace (and unfortunately, Isabelle invited Clary to join in the rescue mission too - much to Leah's annoyance).

Clary reached till his prison first, with Leah at her heels. She ran down the dark, dark stairs and unknowingly drew the destruction rune on the door - the one, which she had used in Hotel Dumort.

"Clary." Leah whispered. "Clary, stay back. The door is going to -"

Before she could complete, Clary knew what she meant. In one swift step, she backed up from the prison door, and then fell to the ground as the metal door got broken inward into a thousand minute metal bits.

Isabelle and Alec appeared from upstairs, and they both stared as Clary ran towards her brother, hugged him and started crying.

The Lightwood siblings remained completely silent and watched. "Come on, we must get going." Leah said quietly, and then Alec and Isabelle helped Jace till outside the burning City of Bones.

Not the City of Bones anymore, Leah thought; now it had turned into the City of Ashes.

As they exited, Leah lingered a little along the corridors and hallways, till she came across a Silent Brother. Although most Silent Brothers could not feel emotions the way normal humans do, this one looked as if he was actually grieving at the loss of his underground city and his fellow brothers.

"Brother Shadrach." Leah approached him. "Who all died in the attack last night?"

Brother Micah. Brother Jeremiah. Brother-

"What about Brother Zachariah? Did he . . . .?" Leah gulped at the thought of her father being burnt alive in the massacre.

No. He is alive as of yet.

Leah Ravenscar couldn't be more relieved. "Thank you for telling." She said happily, backing up, but then stopped again at the Silent Brother's sad, twisted face.

He might be some semi-immortal archivist, but maybe Silent Brothers didn't forget all their emotions after they turned. Brother Zachariah still loved Tessa, Will, James; he loved her. Brother Shadrach wasn't completely emotionless either; he too had lost someone important after last night's massacre.

"Ave atque vale." Leah said softly, and Brother Shadrach repeated it.