The Engagement Party

Leah felt it was pretty useless of Jocelyn and Luke to have an extra engagement party for the sake of werewolves. But since Leah also knew that werewolves knew how to celebrate, she didn't complain. On were parties, the food is richer, tastier, drinks unlimited and dance and music a necessity.

Leah was a wee bit sad that she would have to miss the wild dancing part, where she was hoping to show off her agile demonic moves and drunken crazy dancing (perhaps accompanied by Jace, who was an excellent dancer too).

But Jace was in the Silent City, and Leah had work to do (plus some intuitions which said that something was going to go wrong tonight), and these factors made her obliged to miss the food and celebrations.

Isabelle, Simon and Clary - even Clary - had dressed up pretty glamorously: Izzy in a flowing red gown that had a sexy slit till her upper thigh and a clear long neckline (clearly, to impress Simon), and Clary was wearing a pretty gold dress (as if it was her wedding, not her mom's).

At Simon's much neglected advice, even Alec had dressed....okay. At least, as per Isabelle, his sweater didn't have any holes. The only wardrobe disappointment - to everyone's surprise - was Leah Ravenscar.

Known to have quite a hot dressing sense for all occasions, on the day of the engagement party, Leah wore full shadowhunting gear and carried so many hidden weapons that it was even difficult for her to normally sit.

"Are you doing this because of the werewolves?" Clary questioned skeptically.

"I could deal with werewolves even if I were naked and weaponless. I am doing this because I have got further errands to run this night other than attend your mom's engagement party. And also because I sense danger, and I'm sure I'd be able to face it better when I'm dressed and equipped accordingly."

"Sense danger. What on earth is that supposed to mean?" Clary asked, much to Leah's increasing irritation.

"Things that only people like myself can understand." Leah replied conclusively. "Also, those heels make no difference on you. You look as short as you ever were."

That shut Clary up. In the party, Isabelle went over and hugged Jocelyn and Luke before everyone else; Alec formally congratulated them; Simon was as casual and friendly with them as if they were his own parents; Leah meanwhile was the only person who had actually brought a physical gift.

"Congratulations on your engagement." She said, holding out a delicate white paper box, typically one where you pack cakes. "Hope that you'll have a wonderful life ahead. Ta-da!"

And the cake box lid popped open to reveal a pizza cake - literally, a cake made up of pizza slices. "Wow!" Jocelyn exclaimed, laughing at the creativity. Luke meanwhile stared in humorous amusement. "Did you make it?" He questioned.

"No. Anselm Nightshade." Leah replied.

"The vampire?" Luke questioned, as if he didn't believe that Anselm could never do such a thing.

"Yes, that's him. I hope werewolves don't recoil from eating vampire-made pizzas. I can swear to god, this is tomato sauce; nothing else. And besides he cooks pretty well; the pizzas are especially quite addictive. I think he might open his own shop in California sometime." Leah rambled.

"No one recoils from eating pizzas - even vampire-made pizzas." Luke protested, and even tore a slice from the cake and immediately started eating it. "Wow. This is pretty good. Jocelyn, would you like one?" Luke turned to his fiancée, who looked a little skeptically embarrassed.

"Lucian, don't you think we are forgetting our manners in front of the guests?" Jocelyn questioned.

Leah laughed and Luke shrugged. "Your loss. I think I should really get my pack to form alliances with vampires - especially with Anselm Nightshade. He might send us free pizzas every Sunday then; think about it. Do you think we should call Nightshade to bless our wedding party with this?" He asked Jocelyn.

"Why did I even agree to marry you?" Came the reply. "Thank you Leah, for coming - and for the excellent present, which my husband doesn't seem to have the heart to leave." Jocelyn smiled. "The drinks are that way; you can have fun on the dance floor there. And the buffet tables are right across the room."

"Er, thank you Mrs Graymark. Though very unfortunately, I wouldn't be staying here to attend the entire party. I have to go for business in the Silent City." Leah said, and Luke and Jocelyn immediately commenced into pouting as if to express how sad they will be if one of their guests couldn't attend the entire party.

"I'm sure we've had a lovely meeting tonight, and besides, once I'm done with my work, I might come back to attend the remaining party again - with Jace."

"Speaking of Jace, why isn't he here?" Luke inquired, taking another slice of pizza from the box (much to his fiancee's irritation).

"He's in the Silent City. I thought Clary told you; he's been having some kinds of problems." Leah answered, and then without further ado, bowed and bid farewell one last time, before practically flying over the guests to the door.

She felt the cold wind hit her face, awakening her, as she glided atop the car roofs. That was one thing about being a demonic shadowhunter; unlike others, you could practically fly in the air (for a couple of seconds actually).

Leah wondered if James Herondale or Sebastian Morgenstern could do that.

The City of Bones were just the same as she had last visited them, but there was an air of tension down there. Brother Zachariah stood leaning against a wall, his face drooped down almost in stress.

"Hello Brother Zachariah." Leah greeted, and a couple of Silent Brothers looked up at her. "Hello Brother Enoch." She added, seeing him in a corner.

Leah Ravenscar, if you've come to seek Jace Herondale, let me tell you that he ran away as soon as he got the opportunity, Brother Zachariah spoke inside her mind.

"Was he .....healed?" Leah asked, getting nervous.

We could never complete the entire procedure. He escaped the City of Bones and so far, we do not know where he is. Jem added meaningfully Do you?

"No." Her voice was barely a whisper.

But you do know that it is dangerous, right? While demons are trying to invade his head and possess him, Jace is not safe. His possessor must've already practicing his/her orders onto him. Jace might've already inflicted much damage around.

"Jace's possessor had continuously given him the idea of stabbing Clary - perhaps even killing Clary." Leah said. "Brothers, I must go and stop him."

Brother Enoch nodded, and without any more delay, Leah climbed up the endless spiral stairs to the world above the Silent City.