♡ Unattainable

"Wake up, wake up, (Y/N)." A soft voice tugged. When you opened your eyes, you were shocked to stare straight into your father's dark, baggy eyes.

"D-dad?"

"She's awake?" The redhead walked to the center of the room; a ghosty smile. "Sorry, hope I wasn't too rough." She winced, handing you a cup of water.

"Wait, wait, what's happening..." You asked, groggily. "I'm confused..." Raising the warm cup to your lips, you took a sip.

"First of all, (Y/N)." Father coughed heavily, "what is your relationship with Levi, Captain of the Survey Corps? What is your relationship with Jin? And, what exactly are you doing, young woman?"

___

"Dad!"

The old man's hand rested on the back of the kitchen chair, gripping it firmly with all his might as if he was being torn away.

The coughs racked his body; shook his aged frame. Wheezing, he could barely catch his breath. He lowered himself onto the chair; his coughs sounded like Death blowing horns.

"Dad? Dad!"

His eyes could barely focus on you now; Aileen rested a hand on his shoulder, concerned. "I haven't asked for much in this life of mine..." Your father managed, grimacing.

"But I want you honor this request of mine."

Aileen's lips curved upside-down, and she cast her watery eyes away from the Hell scene. Red hair tucked behind her ear, she trembled visibly and her hands shook.

"Herbs, medicine, there must be something you can do." You pleaded Aileen. "J-Jin works with medicine, I'm sure there's something he can do-"

"Haven't you heard?" Aileen asked, bitterly, her words cutting you like knives. "It's incurable. Trust the person who helplessly watched their parents become victims to it."

You gnashed your teeth together; your jaw began to ache. "You're just going to stand there and watch him in pain?"

"Listen, there's absolutely nothing you can do." Aileen flashed her eyes, angrily. "I've tried everything. Spend time while you can." With those words, she spun on her heel and stormed out of the room.

You glared after her.

"Aileen's-" Dad erupted into coughs again. "She's had it harder than the two of us here, combined. Don't hate her for it, she just has a lot of misfortune..."

"I- do you want to lie down?" You asked, hovering around him, gingerly. He looked at you, dead-on. "(Y/N), if anything, I want you to keep this promise to me."

"I don't know what I would do if you were hurt-" His voice broke, and the aged man buried his face into his palms, making small whimpering sounds. "You're the only one I have now, (Y/N)..."

"After your mom died, half of my world disappeared. I can withstand moving, I can withstand Titans, I can withstand this weather, this environment, this loneliness. Just don't take away what I have left."

"Dad-"

"Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to be in the Survey Corps?" His eyes dulled, and he paused, coughing.

He delicately stood up from his chair, careful of every movement. "It's that man, isn't it? He's seduced you, persuaded you, influenced you, hasn't he?"

"No!"

"You seemed so happy with Jin," his expression twisted. Aileen immediately appeared at his side, once more, her eyes glistening wet.

"Old man," she hesitated, pulling him out of his pained expression. "That's enough. Please, just leave it be."

You slid her a grateful smile.

Aileen expression went shocked, before she warmly returned it, her cheeks turning pink. "Let me have a chat with (Y/N), now." She helped him to his room.

She came back, not long after.

"I'm not your enemy, (Y/N)." She reached in her pocket. Your hand shot to the inside of your jacket.

"Put it down," she commanded after she saw your hand inching.

"Put yours down, first."

Aileen sighed, raking a hand through her fiery hair with frustration. "I'm just getting my canteen." She said, while producing the water container.

Her sharp gaze watched as you relaxed and moved your hand away.

"Relax, (Y/N). I already told you. I'm not someone that's against you."

"But you're not with me either, are you?" You asked, before shaking your head. "Sorry, I'm just high strung after my dad."

"It's alright, I understand."

"About what you said earlier, did your parents die from the same disease?"

Aileen flinched, uncomfortable as she took a sip. "My parents, um," she bit her lip as if she was afraid to continue, "my parents passed away when I was twelve."

"I had just come back from playing outside with my friends when I walked in. Everything was normal, my parents had just come down with fevers a few days ago, and-"

"And...I walked in, my mom started coughing again. Blood came, I gave her some water, thinking it would help her dry throat. After that, everyday was tense with fevers and more blood."

Aileen let out a breath, and turned her face away. "Everyday was so scary, I never knew when the last day would come. Until eventually, my parents lost their voices."

"When I said I tried everything, I really do mean it. I can tell you that I had gone through thirty-some doctors, and still no effect. Herbs, I've tried. I was so desperate, I even went religious."

She scoffed at herself, "that was a long time ago." Her expression softened, "after they lost their voices, everything they wanted to tell me, I couldn't understand."

Aileen's red hair fell, covering her eyes.

"My dad's last words were: 'See you in the morning.'"