♡ Baby Steps

You took one glance backwards, where he waited. The old man's hair had grown white, and was now surrounding his head like a crown.

"...keep her safe," he smiled at Jin, before giving you a bold and challenging look. "Don't die while traveling the distance, (Y/N)."

You puffed your cheeks. "I won't. I can go by myself too, that's how I got here-"

"(Y/N)."

His voice was sharp, yet in a way that deemed gentle at the same time. You had already talked this over with him, insisting that Jin stays for a couple more days with him.

Needless to say, you lost that argument.

___

"Thirsty?" You offered your canteen towards Jin, who was staring off into space. "I wonder if worms know what danger is?" He muttered in a trance.

"Jin. Thirsty?" You asked again, your words bringing him back to reality. "Oh, I'm okay." He suppressed a smile.

"You're suddenly thinking about worms?"

"I was just thinking...how nice it must be to live a life without any worries. Ignorance is bliss, some say, (Y/N)."

Your eyes drifted away from his clear face, and upwards where the sky was only limited and visible through the linings of those old brick buildings that appeared to be only held together by the beams of wood.

The sound of the the golden hooves pressing against the ground created a sense of peace and rhythm, even though you swayed in your seat.

"How long did it take you to travel here?" You asked Jin, hurrying the gentle beast you conquered. "I'm thinking...four to five days at best, huh?"

Your friend chuckled at this. "Longer. It might just be because I'm a slow one."

"As long as you don't slow down me."

"...does that mean no bathroom breaks?"

___

I stole a glance at the woman besides me, her hair just swaying slightly from the momentum of the animal's firm steps.

The drawn picture hidden deep within the layers of my shirt felt heavy, and my throat seemed constricted. I didn't know what to say; what to do. I could only sit, awkwardly.

This sucks.

I watched as (Y/N) smiled at something- her presence made my world more vibrant, and I felt as if I could see the different hues enhanced.

I love seeing her smile, it almost reminds me of those days. I remember when I first saw her smile when she was with Levi.

That smile was the one I loved the most. I like it when she smiles. I like it when she's happy. I just want her smile to be protected.

But if only those smiles were for me, I'd be so happy.

...pfft, yeah, right. She doesn't even remember you.

___

You tucked a strand of hair behind your ear, giddy, knowing the fact that you would see Levi once again.

There were lots to talk about.

As you were thinking this, you sneaked a quick look at Jin, who had caught your gaze. His eyes met with yours, and you could hear your heart hammering away in your chest.

Whipping your eyes away, you spluttered, "the sky is really blue today, huh?"

"Y-yeah." He managed, also sounding flustered.

___

The air got warmer, and the sky turned darker. Soon, you both couldn't go on. Jin yawned loudly, tears springing up at the corners of his pale eyes.

He rubbed them away without a moments hesitation. "...We should get some sleep." Your eyes, accustomed to the dark now, scanned his face.

"There are thieves."

"We don't have anything of value," Jin chuckled, "except the horses."

"Then, what about them?"

"Oh! You thought we were going to sleep outside, huh? I suppose we could do that, if you really wanted to."

"I don't want to get murdered overnight..."

Jin laughed. "I've got acquaintances. Don't worry, we won't sleep outside."

___

"How's that? Comfortable?" Jin whispered in the dark from across the room.

"It's perfect. Thanks, Jin." You warmly smiled, even though you knew he couldn't possibly see it. The pale-eyed man fell asleep within minutes.

Not tired enough, you sat up after you could hear soft snoring from the other side. A bit dazed, the trail of moonlight seeped through the window.

'Out there...somewhere...there's Titans.'

'God, that's the horrifying truth.'

As you turned around, your eyes fell upon Jin's hand that dangled just inches above the ground. The moon's night light hit the band that he wore, and shone it in your face as if it was teasing you.

A soft pang struck your heart when you noticed it, and you wondered if you really were starting to care.

You sat there, in that bed; thinking.