C. 19 | Resign

You had arrived back from the patrol. You ran up the stairs to your room, and instantly fell onto the bed.

You heard something crinkle as you did so, and sat up, feeling around. "A paper?" You muttered, the white piece in your hand.

I was looking for you- come report about the patrol.

Levi

You were surprised by his note. Levi's loopy handwriting was almost unreadable.

'Guess I'm going to visit his office.' You stretched, and sadly looked at your bed. 'I wish I could sleep longer.'

___

"Lev?" You opened the door, expecting Levi to be standing and facing the window or something.

But he was at his desk, reading a book. You grinned as you closed the door behind you.

"Whatcha reading?" You ask, popping over to him. He looks up, and closes the book. "Nothing." He quickly said.

"Patrol report." He said, putting the book away.

"Two drunk men from Military Police- harassing a women on the streets." You said.

Levi looked up at you again. "Military Police?" He repeated.

You nodded. "Saw the badge and everything."

He didn't move. "No one got killed?" He amusedly asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm surprised that you didn't kill the two men." He responded. "Well..." You said, your eyes narrowing.

"Anyway. Anything else?"

"Nah. That's about it."

You didn't bother to mention the fact that the two men left you a threat. You didn't want to tell him anything to worry him or anyone else.

"That's unusually calm." He answered. Your eyebrow rose. "Really? I don't usually see anything bad happen on the streets."

Levi sighed. "People have come back with worse reports. Trust me."

You nodded, and spun on your heel, your hand on the doorknob. "Is that all?" You ask quietly.

Levi didn't respond, but you could feel his stare penetrating your back. You turned around, and placed your hands on Levi's desk.

"Yes, heichou?" You ask.

He stared up at you with dead eyes. "What's my name?"

"Levi."

"My other name."

You tilted your head. "Lev?"

"Good. Now call me that. It sounds better anyway." He said, crossing his arms.

You grin. "Okay."

And you left the room, with a carefree attitude.

After you closed the door, you walked off- your green cape flying behind you as you quickly walked.

You visited the Infirmary. Hana seemed to be getting better- the bandage wrapped around her head was gone.

Now she sat up in bed, a horrified expression on her face.

You looked at her. She stared up at you with a look of disbelief. "Hey...(Y/N). I'm dreaming, aren't I?" Her shaky hand grabbed your wrist.

You didn't speak a word as her eyes begged you silently. Her fingers peeled off your wrist. "I was planning to give this to the Garrison." She said, her eyes cast down.

You waited while she took something from under her pillow. "This is..?" You raise your eyebrow. The word resignation was scrawled across a vanilla envelope.

"I was going to quit the Garrison and join the Survey Corps." She said quietly. "Can you deliver this to them?" She holds out the envelope.

You looked her in the eyes. "Yes."

___

The wind blew past your ears as you quickly rose your horse through the streets.

You heard little shrieks from the people who jumped aside from you and your charging horse. In your hand, you grasped the letter firmly- being careful to not drop it.

Your hair flew in the wind as you rushed towards the wall.

You passed through the wall- and headed for the Garrison. Instead of looking for the Captain, you found a member.

"Give this to your Captain." You said, handing the girl the letter. She looked up at you with large eyes.

"Y-you're-!"

But you had already turned your horse away, and was riding back.

The girl stopped you. "Wait!" She said, running behind you. "Who is this from?" She demanded.

"Tell him or her...it's from Hana Takei." You said, giving the girl a smile. "Oh and also tell them that...she's disabled."

'They surely will accept her resignation if they know she can't be of any use.' You slowly trot away on your horse.

___

You walked back to Hana after putting your horse back in her stable. "How are you feeling?" You ask her.

"Did you give it to them?" She asked. You nodded. She relaxed just a bit. "I'm still in shock." She admitted.

"So now what?" You asked her gently. She sighed. You finally got a good look at her. You noticed her eyes and the bags under them.

'She looks so tired...'

'Hana...'

She raised her eyes. "I will make myself useful." She vowed. "No matter what- don't forget that, (Y/N)!" She smiled at you.

"I would never give up on him," she said gently when she noticed your expression.

"I...I'm so sorry..." You hung your head, tears welling up in your eyes.

She didn't speak for a long time. You winced, thinking about how she wouldn't be able to walk ever again.

"(Y/N)."

You didn't raise your face.

"(Y/N)." She said again- more gentle this time.

You raised your eyes slightly. "Yeah...?" Your eyes widened as you saw her brilliant smile.

'How can you smile?'

"There's nothing to be sorry for." She said. "It wasn't your fault. It was mine for being careless." She averted her eyes.

"But..." She looked at you, her lips slightly apart. "I would never blame you for anything that you weren't involved in."

You hesitantly looked at her. She wore a determined expression. "Even if I can't walk- I won't let that- no...I won't let anything discourage me!"