'Daddy's Cutest Boy' // niam

Prepare yourself, it's a long'un..

-------------------

He held the phone against his ear, hearing the grainy static as it connected, the voice he longed to hear, ringing out, "Hi babe,"

"Hey, Li," he breathed out

"You doing okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay, you?."

"Good, yeah I'm well thanks, love. And how's little one?"

Niall smiled, placing a hand on his tummy, "he's good."

"Still adamant it's gonna be a boy, huh?" He could hear the smile in Liam's tone.

"Yep. It's daddy's intuition." He grinned

"Mother's intuition, more like."

"Oi, piss off!"

"What? You're carrying our baby that makes you the mum. Sorry, darling." Liam laughed

"You're a twat. If you ever get our child to call me mummy, I'm gonna murder you."

"Duly noted." Liam chuckled, "so how was the appointment?"

"It was fine. Baby's growing good, no signs of anything to worry about. He's quite happy in there."

There was a short pause before Liam spoke again,  "I'm sorry I'm not there with you. You shouldn't have to go to these alone."

"Liam, it's fine. You know I understand why. You're in a totally different country, you can't just come back for an hour for my appointments then fly back." Niall soothed, knowing Liam felt terrible.

"I know... Wish I could though."

"I'll send you the scans, yeah?"

"Yeah, please. The lads love seeing them - take the total mick out of me but they love it."

"Harry and Louis, yeah?"

"They're the ones."

"Can't wait to meet them when you come home then." Niall grinned

"They're the same." Liam smiled, "just four more months, love."

"Just four more months."

"I've got to go now. I'll speak to you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay."

"I love you, Nialler."

"I love you, Liam."

Niall waited until Liam ended the call, before letting out a sob. He was curled up in his bed, pyjamas on and dark circles under his eyes. He'd been feeling rotten all day and as much as he wanted to tell Liam, so he could make it all better like he usually can, he didn't. He didn't tell Liam, because he knew Liam would feel bad and worry and fret. He'd apologise over and over again about not being there and Niall didn't want that. He didn't want Liam apologising for being off and doing something he loves.