The Heat // part 2

2 days had passed and Niall was still asleep. Dr Green had said that his body hadn't improved enough for them to be confident that he'd be stable when he woke up.
His family, the boys and Paul hadn't left his side for the entire time they could be there with him. They weren't allowed to stay overnight as there was nowhere for them to sleep, but as soon as morning came they stayed in Niall's private room.

"Good morning" the nurse looking after Niall, whose name they'd learnt was Molly, sung. She was a young petite girl, around early 20's with fair hair tied into a curly ponytail and big bright green eyes with minimal mascara framing them. She was always so happy and bubbly and it honestly helped bring them out of their bad moods sometimes.

"Morning, Molly" Louis replied

"I'm just going to do my daily obs on him if that's alright" she announced, earning nods from everybody.

It was silent for a bit whilst she did this but once she was finished she had a grin on her face, "well that's good!"

"What's good?" Greg asked

"His temperature seems to be stabilising better. I'll go and let Dr Green know and he should be in, in a minute doing his morning round!"

"So you'll be able to wake Niall up then?" Zayn asked curiously, with a hint of excitement and relief

"Well, I'm not saying that but we've needed for his temp to settle down before we considered anything else so this is progress! We'll just have to see what the Dr says" and with that she bid them farewell, leaving them in silence once again.

"I hope he can wake up soon" Liam muttered, clutching onto Niall's hand lightly. Niall's fingers twitched slightly under the grip.

This wasn't unusual - Dr Green had explained that Niall could still feel things even though he was asleep so his fingers would subconsciously react if someone held them, letting people know he was still there even if he himself didn't know he was doing it, but giving everyone a little more peace of mind.

+

The next day, everyone had once again gathered in Niall's room with looks of relief, happiness and nervousness on their faces. The reason for this was because yesterday when Dr Green, came to see Niall, he said that his temperature was indeed looking better and if it continued to stay that way then they'd start reducing the medicine that was keeping him asleep, today.
They could all see on the little monitor next to Niall's bed that his temperature had stayed the same, give or take a degree so that meant that they'd be able to see those bright blue eyes again soon.

Walking into the room, Dr Green & Molly could sense the atmosphere and chuckled softly to themselves, knowing how happy this would make everyone.
"Hello, everyone! I can see that Niall's temperature is good and from the overnight obs it's been like that all night too, so let's wake the lazy lad up, eh?" Dr Green, announced, lightening the mood with his little joke towards the end.

He moved towards the drip stand where all the various IVs were attached, all helping Niall in some way, and locating the one that was keeping him asleep. He closed the connection from the bag to the cannula in Niall's hand, off and switched the bag for a new one - this one containing the magic wake up drug.

Everyone sat around nervously whilst Dr Green sorted the IVs out, and Molly was monitoring Niall all the way through. It took another 5 minutes before the Dr spoke again, "ok so it will take a little while to kick into his bloodstream but he should start showing signs of waking up soon. We'll come back in 5 or 10 minutes just to check but it should be about 30 minutes before he really starts to come round, he may just make little sounds or open his eyes slightly but he won't know he's doing it. I'll see you all in a little while ok?" He said, before walking out with Molly in tow.