Chapter 9:

Mission time

***********************

On Monday I arrived at school early in a black hoodie and pants with black combat boots. In my backpack, I had stowed away a taser (we demigods can't always run around waving swords and daggers), food, and other devices that would help me achieve my goal for the day.

I also arrived to school 45 minutes early so I could spy on some certain Cullens. They always get to school 30 minutes early, before even the other early risers. They pull up and get out of their cars and all stand there talking quietly.

Since no one was around, it was easy to eavesdrop without pulling out my phone. I heard a deep voice berating Edward, "You need to stay away from her."

Dick legit, whined back at him, "What do you think I've been trying to do. It's so hard."

"I think you haven't been trying at all. Come on Edward, you stalked her and her cousin all last night then had dinner with her. You're just lying to yourself", a girl chirped.

"If I hurt her-",

The deeper voice interrupted again, "You won't if you stay away."

These words seemed to have a weirdly calming effect on every Cullen present, as if they were all put under a spell. All except for the quiet one.

Jasper was the one to snap his head up in my direction while the rest remained almost dazed. It was too late to act as if I wasn't watching, so I just stared right back at him. Neither of us was giving in until Alice grabbed his arm and whispered something in his ear that I just barely caught, "That's enough Jazz, we're all okay now."

Immediately all the supposed Cullens and Hales came out of their daze, and I could barely hold back the narrowing of my eyes as my suspicions grew and they all turned to walk into the school.

20 minutes early. I must've scared them off. Yeah, totally.

*******

Bella hadn't shown up to school today but I noticed her truck still parked in the school lot.

I also hadn't seen Dickward after this morning's show.

Shit.

I needed to do this now.

Grabbing my skateboard from where I had stashed it in a bush I made my way toward the only hospital in town.

Once I get there I stashed my skateboard in another bush before making my way toward the front entrance.

Walking in, I acted as if I was going to visit someone and made my way into the elevator and pressed the button that would take me to the basement level. More precisely, the morgue.

I look for the tag that says Forge, Waylon and pulled out his body.

Grabbing gloves, I tilt his head and look at his neck for bite marks.

And no, not two puncture wounds, actual bite marks as I refuse to believe that one element about vampires.

Sure enough, there is one right on the side of his neck. I pull down the sheet to his waist and see bite marks all over his chest, all human-size bite marks.

I pull the sheet back up and close the door of the freezer. I throw the gloves away and walk out of the morgue, back into the elevator, and go up to the main floor.

1 stop down, 1 to go. Next is the police station.

I arrive there at about 4:30 and know my uncle is out on patrol. I walk in and nobody gives me a second glance as I head straight for his office. I sit down in his chair and start looking through files on his desk, he's the sheriff, he's got to have Waylon's file and the file of the security guard down in Mason.