Chapter 15

*RYLAND'S POV*

I knew it was after visiting hours, but I couldn't get Rocky out of my head. He was coughing up cups of blood the last time I saw him and I knew that that could only mean something terrible.

I fiddled my fingers on the plastic bag of get well gifts that my family and I had put together. They were nothing more than new guitar strings and iTunes gift cards but it was all we got.

As the elevator doors opened to the 3rd floor, a panic erupted. Nurses and doctors were rushing frantically down the hall and into different rooms. Everyone was yelling commands at each other and often screaming "Code blue!"

I had no idea what-so-ever what 'Code Blue' meant, but maybe I should have asked. I started walking towards the Emergency Care room, where Rocky was.

Before I entered, a man came running out. He was leading something out the door. He swore at me and screamed for me to move. I stepped aside and a stretcher was peeled out of the room.

I could feel my entire world come slamming down then.

He laid on the stretcher, stiff as a board. His eyes were glazed over and one was off set from the other, making a disfigured sight of him. Blood stained his lips and clothes. A thin line of foam mixed with the blood between his lips. There was a deep gurgling sound echoing from his stomach to his throat. The arm that once was taped to the side of the bed, now hung loosely off the side. Blood dripped from the hole in his arms and snaked off his finger tips.

My breath caught as they wheeled my brother down the hall and behind a curtain labeled EMERGENCY TREATMENT.

I stared after them, praying that wasn't Rocky. I took a deep breath and started stumbling to the set of chairs near the curtains. A fat woman was screaming at me from the end of the hall but I couldn't hear her. I chose not to hear her. I sat in the chairs, staring through the curtains. I couldn't see anything but shadows moving around the stretcher.

"How the hell did this happen?" I heard someone comment as they fixed machines together and attached them to my brother.

"He tore the life support from his arms. His intestines crashed and then, to make it worse, he made the bags fall onto him. His insides are completely destroyed." A woman said, calmly.

I was shaking frantically. Even though the people behind the curtain kept saying Rocky Lynch over and over, all I could think about was Rydel. What would Rydel do if she was in this situation? Is she watching this all unfold from above? Or is she crying that Rocky is....?

I leaned my head back on the wall, listening to the doctors zap Rocky with the paddles. Staring up at the stained ceiling, a tear started form. It slowly slid down my cheekbone, disappearing in my hair near my ear. My older sister was gone. I was there to see her leave. My older brother was half-dead. And I was there to see it.

I sat there for nearly an hour, listening to the doctors attempt countless times to bring Rocky back.

"Oh my god..." I heard a whisper.

I sat up and looked around. The source of the voice was the red-headed nurse from yesterday. She was obviously crying recently, probably from finding out about Rocky.

She collapsed in the chair next to me, "This is all my fault. It's all my fault."

"What?" I asked. My voice was weak.

She held her face in her hands, "It's my fault. I was his caretaker and I didn't check on him. It's my fault he did this."

"Did what?" I was feeling foolish about questioning her