part twenty

Being pulled out of class was a very unusual thing for Atticus, but seeing as the History of Magic was being taught by a monotonous ghost, she didn't really mind.

"Professor, where exactly are we going?" Atticus asked softly, slightly intimidated by her. Professor McGonagall smiled at the girl who struggled to keep up with her swift footsteps.

"Just come along now, dear."

Professor McGonagall was seated in front of a nervous Atticus and Hermione, explaining the second trail and all of the aspects about it. Hermione was jittery and asking questions about the process of being put to sleep and breathing underwater for such a long period of time. Atticus just sat there listening intently. Soon, Professor McGonagall slide two small vials of potion. Hesitantly, she watched Hermione down it quickly and nearly instantly slipping under. Atticus looked at the Professor who gave her a reassuring smile. With a shaky sigh, she lifted the vial to her mouth and silently wished good luck to Harry.

Harry rushed down to the Black Lake, Gillyweed in hand and Neville Longbottom in tow. His eyes searched for Atticus, or anyone who could comfort his frazzled nerves before the trial began. He finally found Ron who seemed just as confused as their other friends absences as him. His loved ones was nowhere to be seen and he was absolutely crushed. Was he not important enough for them? For Atticus? In all his years at Hogwarts, he had never felt so alone.

The trial had started with a bang. Harry had grown gills and was rushing to find what was taken from him. As he searched through the murky water, he began to have a sinking feeling. He was approaching long stems of seaweed, each a lighter shade of green than the water he was immersed in. Fighting through the seaweed, her saw four floating figures. Hermione and Atticus. He thought to himself. As he was reaching for Atticus, two other competitors rushed passing him and collected their designated person. Cedric turned back to him and tapped his wrist urgently hinting at Harry. Harry nodded and set Atticus loose. He quickly glanced at Fleur DeLacour's sister. Shaking his head, he rushed to she her loose too. As he was swimming to the surface, he was yanked back by a mereperson who hissed menacingly at him.

"Only one." The voice seemed to ring out around him. Harry shook his head and tried to continue on. He was pulled back once more, but this time he was ready. Grabbing his wand, he quickly stunned the creature. Harry pushed with all his might to bring her to the surface. Harry's heart ached at the sight of Atticus's dead-like body. She looked so peaceful, yet so cold. Finally, he broke surface.

Atticus and Fleur's sister sprung to life, gasping deeply for air. He smiled at his girl and quickly took them to the dock with the awaiting teachers and students. Atticus hopped on and shivered at the brisk air hitting her. Harry lifted himself out of the water to only be greeted by rough hugs and Hermione's worried rambling. Atticus quickly wrapped him in a thick towel. When Hermione had paused to take a breath, Atticus pulled Harry by his uniform and kissed him passionately.

When they broke away, she whispered in his ear, "Thank you, Harry. Thank you so much."

Harry stood up and pulled Atticus along with him. He wrapped his arms around her small frame and sighed in relief. She was here. He wasn't alone. Intertwined with one another, they patiently waited for the judges to finish discussing Harry's heroic sacrifice.