forty four | voicemail

[ VOICEMAIL FROM: SEBASTIAN ]

"Um, so hi, Riley. I know you aren't on speaking terms with me right now, but I just wanted to hear your voice I guess. And now I have and I don't know why I'm still talking. I want to explain myself to you. I like you so much and I cannot believe I've fucked it up so quickly. A shot at romance and I blow it, typical of me. We've known each other for three months and I've fallen for you so hard.

I've never believed in love. . . or like at first sight, but - and this is going to sound so cheesy but whatever - from the second I called you that day and saw you, all dressed fancy for your sister's wedding, I've known you're different. Good different. Really, really, good different. And then when I saw you at airport, in person, and I got to see you up close and hold you and smell your fresh clothes and your strawberry shampoo and I knew I had it bad. And I've never been anything special, okay, but you sure are something special.

You're such a beautiful, kind woman and I would not blame you if you broke up with me now. What the hell was I thinking, just yelling at that stupid bitch and dropping you in it? I bet this is horrible for you, I bet she's being really shitty to you. And it's my fault. I should've kept my fat mouth shut and let it go. It's the beginning of the relationship and I'm already screwing up.

I accept it if you want to break up, because this is me and it can't really get much better from here. But I like you a lot, and I'm hoping you can forgive me, maybe. I'm hoping, not expecting. I'm sure any self-respecting person would abandon me right here, right now. I won't blame you. I like you, Bear. I'll go now, okay? Text me if you need to talk. Bye."