eleven | phone call

Riley leant back against her headboard, her long blonde hair tickling the back of her neck. She couldn't be bothered to move it though, her attention focussed on the ringing tone sounding in her phone. Her heart was slamming in her chest and her palms were clammy, fear rushing through her. She began to regret her decision, before the tone stopped and a soft, "Hello?" came out the phone.

"Hi," she breathed, her heart skipping a beat at the sound of his deep voice coming down the phone.

For a few moments, they stayed in silence before he finally spoke again, "This is something new for both of us, right? Or do you always end up accidentally texting actors?"

"Yeah, it's a habit of mine," she joked back, her heart still pounding. "I'm kidding, this is most definitely a first for me."

"You sound as beautiful as you look," was his next comment.

A soft giggle left her mouth, careful not to alert her roommate Janie. "I'm not beautiful," she told him, glancing at herself in the mirror. "I have got to be the furthest thing from beautiful."

"That offended me," he said, feigning hurt on the other end of the line. "I'm hurt that you would deny my compliment, Miss Riley."

She laughed, a bit louder than the last time. "This is really weird for me, I'm sorry."

He chuckled, before replying, "I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, Riles," he said, before whispering, "it's really weird for me too. But I trust you, and I'm hoping you trust me. I'm not some old guy trying to catfish you or perv on you or whatever. If you want to stop talking, I'll understand."

"I trust you, Satan," she said, revelling in the soft chuckle she heard from the other end of the line. "I'm just generally an anxious person, ya know?"

"Yeah," he said, his voice soft and velvety. It echoed around her head and she squeezed her eyes shut, having only heard that voice in the movies she'd watched with him in it. "I get it, don't worry."

"Why did you keep talking to me?" She questioned.

"Because you seemed interesting," he replied, "and I'm pretty sure I was — and still am — correct."

She nodded with understanding, before humming so he could hear her response. "I don't plan on stopping talking to you, Riles," he said, before quickly adding, "That is, if you want to talk to me. If you don't, I'll back off, I just —"

"You're adorable when you're flustered, Stan," she said, repeating what she'd said earlier. She then yawned, stretching out. "It's getting late."

"What time is it where you are?" He asked.

"Eleven fifty-seven p.m," she responded, pulling her duvet over her knees. "I should go."

He cleared his throat, a soft sigh echoing down the phone. "If you're tired, go ahead," he said. "I wouldn't wanna keep you up." His voice had a teasing lilt to it, and she smiled, unable to keep herself from blushing.

"Shut it, Seb," she joked. "I'll talk to you soon, alright?"

"Yeah," he replied. "It was nice talking to you, Riley."

She hummed, "You too, Sebby."

Then she hung up, placing her phone down beside her on the bedside table. And despite everything she tried, she couldn't stop smiling. Especially when she received a text from him.

Satan
Sleep well, Riles x

Riley
You too, Stan