Chapter 14 The Battle: Confusion

The days have past and the competition comes. Everyone is excited to their own competition.

            “Alright, this is it. We have to do our best.” Nagisa said.

            “Good luck everyone.” Ama-chan sensei said.

            “The first category is the freestyle.” Gou said. Umi is looking at the list of the contestants on freestyle, suddenly her eyes widened when she saw a familiar name.

            “Hey Umi-chan, are you alright?” Makoto asks.

            “Ah Uhm” she nods and points the list. Makoto looks at it and not really surprise.

            “Oniichan also participates in the freestyle category.” Gou said there was a silence then Nagisa speaks.

            “Where is Haru-chan by the way?” he asks.

            “I think he’s now preparing for his competition.” Rei said.

            “We better go now. We have to cheer for him.” Ama-chan said they went to the event saw the participants warming up.

            “Who are you going to cheer Gou-chan?” Nagisa asks Gou.

            “Both of them.” She said. “How about you Umi-chan?” Gou asks.

            “Both of them too.” She said, her eyes looking to the guys.

            As the whistle blows, the participants jump on the pool. Everyone is attentively watching the race between Haruka and Rin, trying even not to blink in order to completely watch the intense race of the two. Since from the start of the race, Rin takes the lead but Haru didn’t get to far from him. As they swim back Haru almost swims even with Rin. Umi in the other side tightens her grip on the steel she is holding to. Her feelings get mixed while watching the two. She wants Haru to win but she doesn’t want Rin to lose. Then Rin reaches the finish line first and Haru was just next to him.

            “YES” Rin shouts in joy.

            “I won Haru, which means that I will not swim with you again.” He added and walks towards the exit. Haru’s eyes widened then look down. After a while he got up from the water. On the other hand, Umi pinned from where she was. She didn’t know where to go with to confront Rin or comfort Haru.

            “Its ok Umi-chan, Haru is ok.” Makoto said displaying a fake reassuring smile. She then displayed a sad smile at him.

            The next event comes and its Makoto’s turn to swim. Sasabe came to cheer, unluckily he can’t be able to watch the intense fight of Rin and Haru but he led the cheer for the rest of the team. Everyone cheers on the top of their lungs with Sasabe.

            “Go go go go go Makoto!” Sasabe cheers.

            “Go go go go go Makoto!” they repeated.

            They shout and almost lost their voice but Makoto loses the match. They share the same fate with the rest of the team. They decided to go home.

            “Where is Haru by the way?” Umi asks. There is silence the Gou say something.

            “I’m sorry guys.” She said while she bows.

            “What’s with that Gou-chan?” Nagisa said.

            “I secretly registered you to the swimming relay.” She said.