Chapter 8 - Stupidly In Love

✳✳✳

June's POV

Today is the day.

The day that we'll know about our maths ranking. I'm nervous as hell.

"Good Morning, sweetheart. Did you sleep well?" Aunt Joy asks me the moment I come down the stairs. "Today's the day the maths ranking will be posted, right?"

"Yes, and I'm so nervous, I think I did okay with the test, but I also think I didn't." I groaned sitting on a vacant seat in the dining table.

"I think you did great, June, Calum is really good with the academic stuff. That was the first time in his whole life he ever studied for a test." Aunt Joy laughed at the thought while serving breakfast.

My jaw drops upon hearing this.

Calum doesn't study?

"Calum doesn't study? B-but how is he still the top student?!"

What?

He must be really a genius.

"I'm not really sure, but all he does is sleep, soccer, play video games, or other stuff he does. He just doesn't study." she shrugged and I see Calum come down the stairs to the dining room.

"I'm going mum."

"What? You're not going to eat breakfast?"

"I have early soccer training." Calum kissed Aunt Joy's cheeks and went to the front door.

I immediately waved goodbye to Aunt Joy and followed Calum outside. He starts the car and I quickly get into the passenger seat.

Calum looks at me in disbelief. "What are you doing?"

"I'm coming to school with you." I smile innocently at him and turn to look in front.

"I specifically said I have early morning training, school doesn't start in an hour." Calum said angrily.

Is he on his man period?

He groaned knowing he wouldn't be able to fight me on this and starts to drive.

The drive to school was so long and quiet so I decided to turn the radio on because the silence is killing me.

Should've Been Us by Tori Kelly comes on the radio and I softly sing along with song.

"Will you stop that?" Calum said.

"Stop what?"

"The radio, and your singing, it's too loud."

"It wasn't really that loud." I mumbled, low but enough for Calum to hear.

"Well, still stop it. It's fucking annoying." Calum demanded. I slouched on my seat looking outside the car to distract myself.

"Why is it that when you're with me, you're always mad or if not, you're always in a bad mood?" I quietly asked.

Calum sighed, "You already know why."

"I don't think I do."

"I told you! I hate stupid people like you." By this time, Calum already raised his voice.

"Everyone can be a little stupid sometimes." I challenged.

"Well, you're not, you're not a little stupid, you're really stupid for an 18-year old girl. Aren't you ashamed of yourself?!" The stop light's red and he looked at me, "Not only that, I don't like you, okay? I know you like me, but I don't. Never did and never will. You're so annoying, you're so clingy, and all that shit. I didn't even sleep much the other night because I had to tutor you. Stop following me around like a lost puppy. Stop bothering me."

The stop light turned green after he said that hurtful speech and drove again.

"Well I like you, and that'll never change. Even if it hurts."

I held back the tears that were starting to form in my eyes and I heard Calum sighed.

I can't cry in front of Calum.

Not again.

We reached Willow High and Calum pulled over the parking lot. I hurriedly got off his car and quietly said goodbye to him even though I know he didn't hear it.

--

It was lunch time and it's also the time when they post the maths ranking. The rankings are posted on the bulletin board in front of the principal's office.

When I got there, Mrs. Watson was just posting it on the board and everyone's gathered around her.

I made my way to the bulletin board. I had to see if Calum is still on top. It's kind of my fault if he isn't, he hasn't slept much the night before the test, he must've slept through the whole test.

Maybe that's why he was so mad at me this morning.

I slipped between people and even crawled under to get to the board.

I smiled.

He got a perfect score.

Of course he got a perfect score, he's a genius.

I look like Joker with how big my smile was but I couldn't be happier.

I saw him going to the cafeteria and not caring about anything at all.

I made my way to him with a big grin on my face.

"Calum!" I called him with a low voice so that no one hears me, but enough for him to hear me. Everyone seems preoccupied with the rankings so I could talk to him.

He stopped and turned around to face me. "What?" I walked closer to him and smiled at him. "Congratulations. You got a perfect score yet again."

"How couldn't I? I studied for the first time in my life for that test, of course I'll get a perfect score." He said cockily as it doesn't seem to bother him that he's on top again.

There was silence between us until he spoke up again. "Well, congrats too." I perked my head up to look at him to see what's he talking about.

"Haven't you seen your ranking?"

"WHAT?" I said at loud as my eyes widen. I ran straight to the rankings to look at my 'ranking' like what Calum said.

And there it is.

50. Lopez, June Allison

I made it. I made it to the top 50.

My smile grew wider.

I can't believe it.

I turned around to thank Calum but he's already nowhere to be found so I guess I'll just thank him at home later.

--

"Congratulations, June! Oh my God we're so proud of you!" Mikhaela showered me with kisses and Michael hugged me so tight.

So the M&M couple decided to treat me out to dinner to congratulate me. Well who could pass up free dinner eh?

"How'd you do it? You don't necessarily study." Mikhaela laughed when our orders have been delivered to our table.

"I just studied all night the night before the test." I replied. Michael's eyes widen, "That day you looked like a zombie! You really studied??"

I nodded and ate my food.

The whole dinner, we were just talking about random things and gossips about school when I saw someone enter the restaurant.

My heart sank at the scene in front of me.

It was Calum, holding hands with some girl.

--

--

A/N

Ugh. Calum yooo.

Why you gotta be so mean?

I still lub chu xo

- Schy