Chapter 7 - Not-So-New Kid On The Block

✳✳✳

June's POV

2 hours.

I've been trying to solve this problem for 2 hours now.

I can feel his eyes glaring at me from behind as I scribble random numbers on my notebook.

"For Pete's sake June, you've been solving that for hours now, you just have to find the value of x. It's not that hard." Calum whined.

"Easy for you to say because you're such a smarty pants."

"How did you even get into senior year without knowing these stuff?" Calum waved the notes in front of my face. "You're impossible."

"That's why I asked you to teach me. It was easy the first time, it only has equals on it, now with those pacman symbols."

"They are called inequalities, greater than and less than symbols.' He huffed and moved closer to me so he can teach me. I can feel his breath on my neck.

Kill me now.

"Okay, this one is a pretty simple problem. x + 5 < 10, you'll just have to do it the way you do it with the equals sign, but the symbol in the final answer will be the same as the one in the problem."

He started explaining and I tried my best to listen to him but apparently I couldn't focus with Calum beside me.

"So the answer is x < 5, when you graph it, you put...."

Aww. He looks so hot when he's focused.

"Did you get it?" I got out of my trance when Calum called for me. I didn't even get anything.

I nodded unknowingly, still staring at him like a daydream when I heard Calum groaned.

--

And done.

After another 3 hours of studying with Calum, I finally finished all of the problems he gave me to answer and we even studied some concepts. I grinned at him and he has an amused smile on his face.

"Good job slacker. I didn't know you had it in you."

I smiled at the words that came out from Calum's mouth but then, the atmosphere drastically changed.

"But it isn't enough to get to the top 50. You need more than just a day to study for the comprehensive maths test tomorrow." Calum continued.

He got up and started going outside when I called his name. He turned around and look at me. "Thank you." I smiled at him and he just turned back around, closing my bedroom door.

Top 50?

No. That's impossible. I can't do that.

But I have to, if I want to graduate on time.

And I want to prove Calum wrong.

So that's what I decided, I continued studying all night long for the test tomorrow in hopes to get into the top 50. Although it's a little impossible given I'm one of the bottom students since freshman year.

--

I walked into the halls of hell, as they call it, school. I had little sleep last night due to studying, I woke up in my desk with a blanket over me, which was I supposed Aunt Joy put on me.

"Dude, you look like a freaking zombie."

"Well, good morning to you too, Michael." I greeted Michael whilst putting my things in my locker. "Where's Mikhaela?" I asked.