The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Eighteen

Start from the beginning

She didn't.

"You aren't even eating now." David motioned to the plate full of food. In a manner to prove myself I grabbed a spoonful and shoved it into my mouth.

"Yes I am, see." I smiled with food in my mouth. Lily shook her head at my immaturity. No one said anything else as we ate. I ate my whole plate, forcing myself to swallow every time. The food felt like a sword down my throat. And my stomach burned with disgust. I hadn't eaten this much in a while and my body couldn't handle it.

"I love you, Alison, and I only want the best for you." Lily wrapped me in a quick but meaningful hug as we left the kitchen.

I would have replied but my mouth was gritted shut to keep my food down long enough to make it to the toilet. Lily wasn't completely convinced but I had persuaded her enough for her to let it go for now. Hailey went into our room to change while I fell at my feet in the bathroom floor. My white knuckles gripped the cold white of the toilet seat as, what seemed like my guts, splashed into the water. It was loud as it smacked against the wet surface and if I hadn't turned the faucet on I'm sure Hailey would have heard it.

My knees stayed tucked under me for a few minutes as I sat just holding my head over the toilet. This was disgusting. I was disgusting. "Hey, have you seen my blue pajama pants? I think mom might have put them in your basket?" Hailey walked through the door before my hand could knock the handle down to flush the toilet.

The smell of vomit hit her nose fast as she swatted the air in front of her nose. She was confused for a split second until she looked down and saw me on the floor. My face was hot and undoubtedly red with puffy eyes from the uncontrollable tears that formed while throwing up. I was a wreck and she had discovered me. I was up on my feet in seconds hoping to stop her before she ran down the stairs for lily and David, but she beat me to it. I pushed the handle hard and with a loud noise the physical evidence was gone.

"She threw it up." I caught up to Hailey right as she spilled her guts.

"What?" Lily and David turned away from the sink to look at their daughters.

"I saw her. She was sitting in the floor throwing it up." Hailey wasn't crying but it sounding like her voice was. She stood a few feet in front of me so I couldn't see her face but I knew there wasn't any tears. She was mad. I had lied to all of them.

Tears sprung from Lily's eyes and the plate she held in her hand fell into the sink but not hard enough to shatter it. "You lied?" I had never lied unless I said I was okay. She couldn't know the truth. Her and David has given me everything and I had taken advantage of it.

"No, mom, I. I didn't lie." My tears had come to match hers without even realizing. Seeing the look on her face made me want to wither away. It was betrayal. I had betrayed her.

"Why don't we sit down and talk about it?" David worked as the moderator but we were well past the point of talking.

"Mom did talk to her and all Alison did was lie. That's all she ever does now since she started dating Aiden," Venom soaked Hailey's tongue. "She lied to you about her eating. She lied to you about getting bullied and she lied to you when dad asked about any boys." Once again, I was being attacked by the one I called sister. I wasn't going to sit back and get burned completely.

"Says the one who slept with Dylan because the guy you liked, liked me instead." My words came out with poison and I hated it. The venom sunk into my gums with a bitter aftertaste. That wasn't me.

"That's enough!" Lily stood in the same place. Her face was red but I wasn't sure what from, her tears or the anger that coursed through her lamb skin? She was never angry.

"You're right. Alison needs help mom and dad."

Hailey's face had finally matched her voice. She was crying like her mom. I was crying too but I didn't stand around for them to see. Their faces became blurs as I turned on my feet with one destination in mind. Lily yelled after me with Hailey hot on my trail but neither one could stop me.

When I got into my truck I had expected it to start right away but to my luck, the engine stalled long enough for them to step out on the porch. My windows were rolled up to the seal keeping me from hearing the words flying from Lily's mouth as her finger stabbed the air.

Johnson's cliff seemed like my safe place at the moment but halfway there I made a u-turn to head somewhere completely different. The headspace at the moment wasn't the best and now, as I sat in front of the big brick house, I had to debate internally for me to even put my truck in park. What would he say?

Finally pushing the paranoid voice in my head back, my keys shifted so that the truck was parked in his driveway. His motorcycle was parked just in front of the garage and his car was no where to be seen. Lights lined the edge of the grass where the green blades met the grey concrete.

"Okay." I moved my hand to knock but my knuckles never met the wood. My brows furred in frustration. Was this a mistake? As much as I wanted to leave, he was the only person my mind could think of. And my body needed him. My nerves sat in my stomach as I swallowed them and knocked three times on the door.

No one answered and just when I made a move to leave a half asleep Aiden pulled open the door. His hair was tousled with his chest bare to me. I watched his sleep taken eyes light up as they settled on me. "Alison?" The door opened more but not all the way.

"I-" My sentence was cut before I could even say the second word. A female voice called out for my boyfriend.

"Aiden?" It was a girly voice that sounded groggy from sleep. Behind Aiden appeared a girl almost half his height. A portion of her body had been covered in a large t-shirt with her legs bare with only black panties covering her lower half.

This was humiliating.