The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Thirteen

Start from the beginning

He sent me one last smile before closing the door again. And I headed back outside with Aiden's shirt on my body. I had slipped my jeans back on and let my hair down from the ponytail as it dried.

The guys didn't pay much notice to me as I curled up in the pool chair. Aiden was still in the pool but away from the boys. Dylan and Jason goofed off together, frequently shoving each other under the water.

It was weird seeing them all so light hearted and boyish. I'd only ever seen the serious hard faced statues that stood in the halls. And Aiden, he still had the same look, but he seemed more peaceful. The ease on his face relaxed me.

These past weeks I had spent with him, I was growing more confident in our "relationship" it wasn't nothing major. I still hardly spoke but when I did, I spoke the words I wanted to say instead of fearing of what his response would be. There was still a stone wall between us and by the looks of it, it wasn't coming down anytime soon.

As long as it stood; I couldn't get hurt. He couldn't hurt me- but that was inevitable. This whole "relationship" was a joke. The kissing and hand holding, the looks he gave me, they were faux. And I was stupid enough to believe them.

I had been so caught up in myself that I hadn't noticed Aiden was standing in front of me, soaking wet. Water cascaded down his toned abdomen as he reached forward to grab the towel placed next to me. His swimming shorts were drenched- sticking to his legs and showcasing the one area I couldn't help but notice. My cheeks flooded with heat as I avoided my eyes.

Aiden's eyes landed on his shirt.

"You changed."

I nodded, pinching the shirt, "It's a little big." A little big was an understatement. It swallowed me whole. The fabric cut off mid thigh. The shirt was comfy and even though it was large, I was used to wearing clothes like this.

He bent forward, close to my face. My curious eyes watched him as he looked at my lips for a brief second. He leaned in like he was going to kiss me. I held my breath and waited for his lips to meet mine. They didn't. Instead, he reached his hand behind me and grabbed my he water bottle from the side table.

"I like it." His lips twitched in a smirk as he stood straight.

My breath flew from my lips. That was embarrassing.

"Can I head home? The boys seem occupied and I don't want to intrude." I wasn't really intruding. If anyone was, it was the guys. But they are not my friends. And it was awkward. Was I just supposed to sit and watch? I definitely wasn't about to get in the pool with them.

Plus, I hated leaving chlorine in my hair. It made my hair all frizzy and chemical smelling. I'd scrub it and douse it in shampoo and conditioner for days.

Aiden opened his mouth to speak but Eli did before he got the chance. The dirty blonde slung his wet arm over Aiden's shoulders.

"We were actually about to go out for food. Why don't you come with?" Now this was something I definitely didn't want to do. Eating in front of my family makes me feel sick, how was I supposed to do it in front of a group of the hottest guys in my school. Maybe if I just eat a salad it'll be okay. There's no way I could stuff my face in front of them. I couldn't even do it alone.

My arms hugged my waist, covering my stomach.

I was fat enough.

"I don't want to intrude on your guy time." I didn't know what to call it. Guy time seemed fitting enough. A bunch of guys hanging around eating and talking about boy stuff.

"You're not intruding if I just invited you."

He wore a smile on his face.

There was no way I could say no.

"Okay."

Jason and Dylan climbed out of the pool and we all headed inside to get our things. Aiden gave me a plastic grocery bag to toss my wet shirt in. I tied the two hand loops together to keep the shirt and water inside.

The car ride there was awkward but I'd pick that over sitting in the booth at the diner. Aiden sat to my right. To my left was the wall. There was plenty of room in the booth for there to be another person beside us but Aiden scooted closer to me. There was still a small gap between us. If he didn't care about respecting my space he would have been pressed against my thigh.

Jason and Dylan sat across from us. Jason was nicer than I thought. He didn't speak much but he should. He had a nice voice, it was calm and actually kind of soothing. Dylan was the opposite. He only talked and when he did it was deeper and he was more harsh about things. He didn't talk to me much but I didn't mind. He mostly only spoke to the boys.

"Alright boys, lets eat." Eli clapped his hands together and started to take his seat next to his best friend. Aiden held out his arm and nudged Eli back with his palm. Clearly confused, Eli raised his brows and tried to sit again.

"Pull up a chair. You're not sitting next to us."

He looked momentarily shocked. A goofy smile took over and he moved to Jason and Dylan's side of the booth. He figured he take a seat there but they didn't agree.

"Nah," Jason shook his head, "You're too annoying."

Eli, who obviously wasn't broken about the scene, faked a frown and drew an invisible line from his eye to his cheek, with the tip of his index finger- as if there was a tear.

Dramatically and suddenly, he covered his heart with his palms.

"My heart."

Jason continued shaking his head, "See, you're annoying."

I stifled my laugh.

Eli, done with the theatrics, pulled over an extra chair. He leaned forward and rested his head in his palm, "So Ali, tell us about yourself."

Dylan jumped in;

"Have you ever had a boyfriend?"