Chapter 30 - End Of The Road (Brennan Conrad POV) Pt.2

Start from the beginning

The urge to be a good son and brother was a resilient part of who I was.

"Listen to me Samson!" I whispered firmly, "He's gone, S-Silas is gone. He – he's gone Samson. Do – do you u-understand?" I ask my vision blurring, my bottom lip a shaking mess, but I keep my gaze peering into Samson's.

I shake my head slowly when I see the doubt building in Samson's eyes. "No – he's gone. I wouldn't lie. He's gone. This is not a dream, okay? Silas is – he d-died." My heart breaks, shatters inside me when his blue eyes well up, and my own tears fall over the brim, landing on Samson's face.

Samson is silent for a long time, his breathing becoming ragged. The only words that escape between his lips."G-gone?"

.

.

.

Now. After overhearing Taylor and Devin, I decide to face Devin head on. Going to her shared dorm. "Faith may have saved Talia, but I saved Samson," I hear Taylor saying, and every part of me tenses.

She saved Samson?

"I've seen him at his lowest Devin."

"I – look I understand that Tay," Devin responds. I swallow thickly, waiting on the other side of their commons area. Planning on speaking to Devin, but here I was able to hear their conversation.

It felt as though someone or an unknown force had found our string. A loose piece of thread that had been woven into the larger dynamic picture. They found it on our tapestry and pulled, and now everything was falling apart.

"He was this close to taking his life-" my mind jumps from thought to thought.

Taylor couldn't be implying what she was.

Samson would have never taken his... I close my eyes and remember the broken person he was months after Silas' death.

"Just... things with Brennan are so bad right now, let me just..." I hear Devin's reluctance and I hope for what I want to happen to occur. Stand up to Taylor. Refuse to help her. I needed to know if she could do that before I got involved.

It wasn't... I could stop her and throw an ultimatum at Devin but I wanted to know if she was the person I loved. Did she know that she couldn't cross any line she wanted?

Could Devin save her self?

No, she couldn't. "After the break – let me get things settled back with Brennan, then I'll get-"

"No!" Taylor cries, "I can feel myself losing him! Do it before we go on winter break."

Say no. Just please say no.

I wait for her answer holding my breath.

"Fine, fine!" shoulders heavy, breaking under the weight of the truth.

"Imogen – that half Fae... do you think she knows any love spells?" Taylor throws out there in a thoughtful tone that turns my stomach.