Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

Prom was quickly approaching and all the girls were finding the perfect dress, and the boys were just waiting for their cue to go and rent their tuxedos. I hadn't thought much about prom until I saw all of the posters hanging up around the school. I really wanted to go. It's just one of those things that you don't miss. Everyone was finding dates and planning. Me, not so much. I wanted to go to prom with Gabriel but I didn't know if he would be up for it. He was out and not ashamed, but I thought he would still be pretty uncomfortable with going to prom with a guy.

One day in calculus, Gabriel never arrived to class. After school I got a text from Aurora saying to meet her in the student parking lot. She wasn't supposed to be bringing me home that day so I was confused. I walked out to the parking lot and was greeted by a huge banner hung across the fence that read: WILL YOU GO TO PROM WITH ME CLAYTON OAKLEY???

Gabriel was standing next to the banner with a huge grin on his face. I couldn't help but smile, too. I couldn't believe it. Gabriel never ceased to amaze me. He was more amazing everyday. I walked up to him and kissed him.

"I'd be honored," I said.

"Awesome!" Gabriel exclaimed.

When the night of prom arrived, I was freaking out. I found a mysterious pimple that I definitely did not have before, my hair was doing some weird cockatoo thing, and my tux fit wierd.

"I look like crap!" I said to Mom as she straightened my tie.

"You look extremely handsome, honey," she assured me.

"Thanks, mom," I said with a half smile.

Gabriel showed up to my house around six o'clock. He looked so handsome. He was wearing a white tuxedo with a turquoise bow tie and cummerbund. I was wearing a black one with the same colored tie and cummerbund. It was the best way to match without one of us wearing a dress. Mom and Dad took pictures in the living room as Amanda watched.

"I thought boys go with girls to the prom," stated Amanda.

"Well honey, your brother and Gabriel want to go together," replied Mom.

"Why?" Amanda asked.

I could tell that Mom didn't want to answer, but she had no way out.

"Well, sometimes boys like girls. And sometimes boys like other boys. And sometimes girls like other girls." Mom replied as best as she could.

"Okay," Amanda replied, "I think I like girls then. Boys are gross!"

The room was silent for a moment, then everyone burst into laughter. It was times like this when I absolutely loved Amanda.

"Are you going to go over to your place to take pictures?" Dad asked Gabriel.

"My dad took pictures before I came over here," replied Gabriel, "As far as he knows, Clay and I are meeting our dates at the restaurant. My dad doesn't know this part of me. I'd like to keep it that way for now. I don't wanna drive him to drinking again." Gabriel laughed.

My parents took a few more pictures and let us be on our way. Gabriel drove us to the restaurant where we were meeting everyone at before the dance. Brooke and Zenan had decided to go together and they were already waiting at the restaurant. Brooke's hair was curled and she wore a long green dress. Zenan's hair was pulled back in a neat ponytail and he was wearing a green tie and vest to match Brooke's dress. Aurora arrived shortly afterwards with Marcus. They wear wearing red.

"You all look so nice," I said to them.

"You look very handsome yourself, sir," replied Aurora.

After dinner, we headed to the dance. It was at a fancy hotel that was lit up with bright lights, making it look very elegant. Everyone walked in arm-in-arm with their dates. After seeing this Gabriel grabbed my hand.

"Let's go enjoy ourselves," he said to me, smiling.

The night went pretty perfectly. We stayed with the group for the most part. Until a song came on that made Gabriel stop in his tracks. It was Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson. I thought back to the morning in my room when he sang his heart out to the same lyrics.

"You have to dance with me!" Exclaimed Gabriel.

Gabriel and I hadn't slow-danced all night, but this seemed like the perfect moment.

"I'd be delighted," I said with a smile.

Gabriel pulled me close and wrapped his arms around me. We swayed to the rhythm of the music and Gabriel softly sang the words in my ear.

"Can this be our song?" Asked Gabriel.

"Our song?" I questioned.

"Yeah. Doesn't every couple need one?"

I was happy that Gabriel had called us a couple.

"Well okay. This is our song then," I told him.

"Great," he replied, and kept singing in my ear. He actually didn't sound half bad this time.

Gabriel's cologne smelled great, and his warm body made me melt. I felt like I was in a fairytale. The moment was perfect and I felt that I could stay like that forever. When the song was over and we parted, I noticed people standing around watching us. Most of them were smiling. I even saw one girl wipe tears from her face. I felt a little embarrased, but it was nice to see people happy that Gabriel and I were happy.

The night went on flawlessly. I wanted it to go on forever. I looked over and noticed Brooke and Zenan locked in a passionate kiss during a slow song. It shocked me, but deep down I knew it was going to happen. I saw Aurora dancing and smiling with Marcus. I sensed good things to come in their future, too.

It was about midnight when we all finally headed home. Gabriel and I got into his mustang and drove with the top down. The night air felt amazing.

"Meet me in the tree in a little bit okay," said Gabriel when he dropped me off at home.

I headed upstairs and kicked off my shoes. I climbed onto the tree still in my tux and waited for Gabriel. He came out shortly afterwards with his tux on, too.

"Hey you," he said.

"Hey you," I replied.

He sat close to me and put his arms around me.

"I don't want tonight to end," he said softly.

"Me neither," I replied.

"If anyone would have told me I would go to prom with a guy, I would have called them crazy. But look at me now. You've showed me a world that I never thought was possible. But I wouldn't want to take this journey with anyone else." Gabriel looked at me with those big hazel eyes and I was in bliss.

"I'm happy to be the one," I said, "I love you, Gabriel."

"And I love you, Clay."

"It really is nice out here," I said, gazing at the sky.

"Yeah. It really feels like we're above everything up here."

I realized how right Gabriel was. I thought about it as I cuddled in his arms. It was our escape. Up there we truly were above everything. Above the drama. Above the judgment. Above the fear. Above the world.