Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

I was always really excited to see Gabriel at school. He seemed to share the same joy. Ever since the night in the tree, he seemed like a different person. He still acted like his nonchalant self, but I knew that there was more behind it, and he seemed to be okay with that. In the hall he gave me a friendly grin, and I returned it. A feeling of satisfaction came over me, like I had achieved some sort of goal. I was infatuated with the person I saw in him. Being around him was enough to give me butterflies.

Zenan and I finished our chemistry project, and to my surprise we continued to talk just as much as we ever had, if not more. He ate lunch with Aurora, Brooke, and I every day. We were like a little "clique". That was never my word of choice though. I preferred the term family. Because, eventually we did become like a little family, and could talk to each other about almost everything.

Tony texted me during lunch.

Tony: Y DON'T U TXT BAK?

I rolled my eyes. This was just one of multiple texts I had received from him in the past weeks. They were all pretty similar in theme.

Tony: CLAY? U THERE?

Tony: I MISS YOU!

Tony: Y R U IGNORING ME?

Tony: HEY! U THERE?

Tony: DON'T BE THIS WAY.

I knew I had to talk to him eventually, but I wanted to do it in my own time, not when he wanted me to. He hadn't show me that consideration so why I should I jump at his first requests?

Aurora noticed my frustration with the message and asked what was wrong.

"Tony is a dumbass. No big deal." I spoke calmly.

"Who's Tony?" Zenan asked.

"Tony is my jerk of an ex-boyfriend," I answered.

A voice came from behind me. "Your ex what?"

I turned around and saw Travis Hunter staring at me with wide eyes. I had never talked to him but I recognized him from chemistry class. He was on the football team with Gabriel. I saw them together sometimes. He was tall and bulky. He was always being loud and obnoxious and thought he was the king of the fucking world. A true meathead.

Him and a couple of other guys sat quietly, waiting for me to respond. My table stayed silent as well.

"Nothing," I finally replied.

"No, you said boyfriend, didn't you?" Travis asked.

"I don't think it matters"

"That sounds like something a faggot would say!"

I didn't reply to Travis and tried to ignore him, but he got louder as he continued his rant.

"Let everyone know, dude! You're a homo! Do you like it in the butt? That's fucking disgusting, dude! Attention all guys, we have a fag on the loose! You better not try to hit on me."

His friends laughed. I could feel my cheeks getting red.

"Sorry, you're really not my type. I'm not into the insecure jackass type," I replied sarcastically.

Travis stood up and raised his fist.

"I'll beat your ass, fag! Don't push me."

Zenan jumped up and stepped in front of Travis.