Chapter 21

Berlin

(Image above is Berlin and the song fits the chapter. Listen to it as you read!)

My eyes were burning with tears as I haphazardly crawled my way to the pale, lifeless body. Sobs tore through my chest with a renewed vengeance and my knees chafed against the bloodied carpet, my arms threatening to give way with each movement I made. My ears drowned out the sickening chuckle that drifted through the stale air, stained with the stench of death. The only thing on my mind was getting to him.

The sight of Osias's lifeless body laid at the feet of the only person I'd ever want to kill left me feeling as if a hole had been drilled to the very depths of my soul, leaving only a void of pain and hollow despair. A scream of overwhelming grief finally tore its way out of my throat, waves of dark emptiness almost knocking me over as I pulled his head into my lap; his beautiful eyes locked into a final stare into nothingness. My hands trembled as I frantically wiped back bloodied hair from his forehead, my screams of anguish echoing throughout the entire room.

Why?

Why me?

Why again?

I asked, sending up a silent plea to the Goddess and hoping that She would somehow hear my cries. Even so, my chest seemed ready to burst into flames with every harsh breath I took, a waterfall of tears flowing down my cheeks and landing onto the handsome face of my dead mate.

And just like that, the sliver of hope that I clung to was gone.

How could I raise our child without Osias? I couldn't subject our own baby to a life devoid of happiness from not knowing their father. It would be cruel.

I knew what I had to do.

There was only one way that we could all be together.

I sent Corey and Ortiz a small, sad smile, the sight Corey fretting over his unconscious mate like he was the most precious jewel in the world causing my heart to ache in an agonizing torture. They'd make amazing leaders, I just knew it. I wouldn't even be surprised if Corey found himself in the Alpha position while Ortiz became the Luna. It was obvious who the dominant one was in the relationship.

With that, I gently laid my head on Osias's still chest, my blood-stained fingertips brushing against his soft lips as I admired the feel of his features, attempting to train each one to memory. His sharp jawline, down to his scruffy chin, before heading back up to his smooth cheeks: dusted with a five-o-clock shadow that made him look all the more rugged and sexy.

"I love you." I whispered out to him adoringly, my body suddenly calm and composed as I thought about him hearing my words from the Goddesses' paradise, where he surely resided.

I wasn't scared anymore.

"Wow, he sure looks better when he's dead." an obnoxious snort sounded from a few feet away as Max licked at a bloodied knife which he clutched tightly in his hands. He was far from unscathed, with his clothes almost completely torn from his body and long gashes that ran the length of his torso, but he was most definitely alive.

"It should have been you." I cried out, my small hands clutching at Osias as I held him as close as possible to my body. My body began to shake with rage from the audacity Max held to even breathe in anyone's presence. This rapist, necropheliac murderer deserved to rot in hell.