Chapter 18

Osias

When I was just a pup, I remember always thinking about who my mate would turn out to be. I always imagined them to be the most beautiful person alive, someone whose features and personality would shock me to my very core. Around the time I reached puberty, I'd stay up into the late hours of the night, a flashlight in one hand as I sat underneath my covers to write endless letters to the one person I longed to meet. 

I would write long lines of promises on the thin sheets of paper in my terrible, pubescent scrawl before falling asleep to dream of the tiny, faceless boy that pleasantly ravaged my dreams. The first time I had that dream, I knew that I was definitely going to fall off of the beaten path that most Alphas followed. I was in love with that little, faceless male at a young age, that much I knew, although it didn't bother me at all. All I wanted was to be able to keep my mate safe from anything and everything that may hurt him. 

But I'd failed at doing the one thing I promised myself to always strive for once I'd finally found him. 

That one fact tore at me constantly, my insides bubbling with hatred not only for that fucking bastard that stole my mate from me, but also for myself. I just wanted my Angel happy and safe, but I had already fucked that up. 

On top of that, he's was pregnant with our perfect little pup. I had to hold back a pain-filled growl when that thought crossed my mind, determined to keep it together for the sake both my pack and myself. Instead, I focused on the trees around me as I zipped through them with my warriors at my sides. The steady beat of many paws hitting the ground with a sense of urgency along with mine gave everyone the conviction to continue on, and continue we did.

We had to have been running for at least three hours straight, but York and I didn't even feel the least bit fatigued. In fact, was steadily growing more and more impatient as the hours rolled by, tearing at the back of my mind because despite the fact that we were in his form, I still took over his consciousness. 

"Alpha, we are just outside of the boundaries."  Ortiz's voice rang out in my mind as we approached  meet-up area just as the sun began to set behind the Californian mountains. The sky was a beautiful mixture of reds, oranges, and a soft cream color. It was vaguely reminiscent of the color Berlin's soft cheeks took he blushed. My heart clenched in pain as I thought of him, throwing my head back to send a loud howl into the air to alert the rest of my pack that we had arrived. 

"Thank you. Round up everyone in the clearing." 

Almost instantaneously, the warriors that I led in wolf form began to file into the large area surrounded by trees. They began to shift back to human and dress themselves in the appropriate attire, chatting quietly among themselves and loading full magazines into their guns. A minute or so later the other half of our group appeared from the trees, already in human form and surprisingly looking wide awake, almost as if they hadn't just endured a long, cramped drive here. 

I took no time at all to shift back to human as well, ignoring York's incessant grumbling in our mind as I pulled on the sweatpants I brought before simply fastening the bullet-proof vest over my bare torso. I easily towered over many of my warriors in both height and might, making it easy to gather the attention of every one of them with a loud clearing of my throat. A smirk made its way onto my lips when all heads turned to look at me, bathing in the respect and attention that flowed from each one of my warrior's actions. 

I guess I truly am an amazing Alpha. 

"Just beyond these trees lies a man who will do anything he can to keep our Luna forever." I started, making eye contact with each person in the crowd to the best of my ability. "He is demented, estranged, and will do anything to get his way. Do not, I repeat, do not under any circumstances attempt to apprehend him. That will be my job and my job only." I paused, letting everyone have a moment to let my words sink in before continuing.