Chapter 1

Berlin

(Image above is how I see Berlin, but feel free to imagine whoever you want for any characters!)

"Maxie..." I drawled out tiredly, stretching my short limbs out underneath my cream colored sheets. A thin ray of sunlight filtered through my curtains, marking a new day. A smile tugged at my lips as I rolled over, seeking the warmth of my mate's broad chest to start off my day, only to be met with cold, stale air. 

These days, all of my mornings start this way. Even five months after the accident, I'm not used to him being gone. I am rewarded a few moments of bliss, my mind tricking me into thinking that my mate is still here, before reality collapses on top of me again and I've never felt more alone in my life. He died to save me when it should have been the other way around. 

I lay in bed quietly for a couple seconds before sitting up and brushing my hair away from my eyes. I glanced at my bedside table, sighing nostalgically as I my eyes locked onto a picture of Max and I. I'm sitting on his lap in the photo, and we are at the annual pack bonfire, laughing without a care in the world. Tearing my eyes from the photo, I slid out of bed and walked into the bathroom, taking in my appearance in the mirror. My brown eyes have lost all of their sparkle and over the past months, bags have been appearing underneath them from both lack of sleep and stress. My body is slightly emaciated due to lack of appetite, but I don't pay much attention to that. I've always been small anyway, so no one comments on my lack of muscle.

I was born a triplet, one of three boys, but you could say that I've been different since birth. While my two brothers were born healthy and large, I was born underweight and tiny. As time went on and they grew to heights taller than six feet, I was perpetually stuck in a purgatory of five feet and three and a half inches. I was the late bloomer. This especially manifested itself when I failed to shift into my wolf at thirteen, which branded me as an outcast. While my friends and brothers were allowed to join small hunting crews, I was kept inside to learn household skills with the human female mates of our pack. I finally shifted into a small, grey and white wolf at age 17, a year and a half ago, but by then the damage was done. I was forever to be the runt of the family. The 'odd one out'. 

Shaking my head to rid myself of old thoughts, I dragged my body into my glass shower for the last time. Today was moving day. After the attacks five months ago, it was found that the rogues were contracted with another pack, Crescent Falls. They planned to use the rogues to weaken our forces before infiltrating our pack and simply taking over. Seeing as to how they are a much stronger pack, their plan worked perfectly. They gave us five months to get our belongings and personal matters together before we were to be completely assimilated into their pack, and today is the end of those five months. 

"Fuck!" I cried out, biting my lips as I looked down at my leg, the area where my shaving razor cut slowly dripping  blood. I groaned internally before turning off the water in defeat, deciding that I am the cleanest that I need to be for our trip today. I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my body, shivering at the cold air that touched my flushed skin. With another chilling shiver, I rushed out of the bathroom and tugged Max's grey hoodie that I left out over my head quickly, the hem falling to my mid-thigh and my breath hitching as my nose was filled with his scent.

"I miss you..." I whispered softly, wrapping my arms around myself gently as if it were Max holding me instead, as he did every morning. I stood still for a couple moments until I couldn't take it anymore, quickly tugging on my light blue briefs and black skinny jeans before grabbing my black satchel. Turning around at the door, I glanced over my bare room for the last time before heading out of the door to my room, only to be met with the loud, chaotic movement of my pack.