Never Meant To Be [2] The Escape

Steady hearts beat,

While Kings and Queens fall to and endless silence.

This is not war,

But the end of a renegade empire that was meant to perish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The Escape

The weeks have passed since the arrangement had been made. I wished I could have done something more to enjoy those days of freedom, or what I had left of them anyway.

The sound of clashing champion bottles along with fine music dance along the air till drifting into my bedroom window, were I watched in my poignant leisure.

I was dressed in a traditional pearl white with the best of imported silk they could find, along with a pair of laced heals. Its always been a girls dream since childhood to marry happily with a cheerful smile upon their face, but sadly it was not my dream, or at lest not like this anyway.

Tiny droplets of tears ran along the sides of my cheeks, staining them with a pinkish glow.

My veil was laid down next to me in the small wooden seat as I sat next to the window, staring dazed into the setting sun. I would wed him, once the moon had risen and was expected to proclaim my empty words of love to the father of the church, just like my father, the ruler, had told me.

Sighing at the mere memory, I slouch ever so deeper into the window in an unladylike fashion, praying that my pleas would be heard from the heavens.

Massaging my temple, I could feel the hint of queasiness inside my churning stomach, making my fair skin turned white as freshly fallen snow.

A soft knock at the door interrupts my rummaging thoughts and I glance upward to the door.

"Come in.." Was all I could mange as Lee, my childhood friend and my personal maid stepped in, dressed in a sleek pastel pink dress that just didn't seem to fit with her short, perky red locks.

"This is one of the most embarrassing dresses I've ever worn!" She hisses, picking up the dress for me to see the huge bow upon her backside. I couldn't help but stiffen a giggle when she turns to me again. She saw the fits I was having and blushed a rosy red, like a child would do when it were annoyed or insulted.

"I'm so sorry Lee, its not you..really.." My voice becomes a whisper, now momentary looking back to the window to see the guest still chatting with one another in their seats. "It will begin soon..."

"I still say this is wrong." Lee comments with sour features, her chestnut eyes staring straight through the window to the celebrating guest down bellow. From my view I could see the women conversing amongst themselves and men joking about their lives and neighbors.

I also could see my parents having a quaint conversation, playing the role of a loving couple that was about too see their beloved daughter being handed off to a handsome young man. If the guest had truly seen through their little act, they would have notice the strange glint in my mother's eyes and the way my father practically smirk with power.

Sometimes I wonder if they're even human. I thought with disdain as they walked through the garden, having small chitchats here and there while pointing out small details to the maids to tend to the roses that were slightly showing some wilting leaves. I had to hold back a sneer when they sent their gaze upward, toward my bedroom window were they silently snickered at my indifferent features before heading back to the refreshments table.

Sighing, I took my gaze away from the window and back to my friend Lee, whom seem to have caught that little display between the two people who masqueraded as my parents and me. I tried to smile despite my mood but only found enough strength to twitch my lip in dismay.