Chapter Thirty-Nine

I look at her with complete confusion on my face. "I-I'm sor- you want a what?"

"I want to have another baby," she looks at me with waiting for me to say yes or something.

"Why?"

"I don't know I guess that I just miss being pregnant," she shrugs her shoulders.

Miss being pregnant?

"No," I shake my head walking away.

"Bu-"

"No, I'm done with this conversation."

"But I want to have another baby!"

"Keep your voice down, and no, we have a fucking baby that you just put to bed, why the hell should we try for another one?" I whisper harshly not even fazed by the tears streaming down her face. "I have to get to work, I don't have time for this shit."

~

"Thank you, enjoy your evening," I give a fake smile at last customer in line stretching my limbs out.

Fuck I don't want to go home!

"Long time no see stranger," I look up from sorting out the money in the register to see Harriett with a baby in her arms.

"Hey how are you doing?" I couldn't even try to fight the smile in my face.

"I'm fine, I had the baby as you can see," she tells me the obvious thing known to man, but I didn't miss the look in her eyes as she looks at her child.

"I know that look in your eyes, I know that same feeling, Mya and I became parents a couple of months ago."

"You're a father now Tanner?" the smile that she has another face was filled with happiness and excitement.

No I just said that we were parents for nothing.

"Mhm, Michael Lamar Smooth," I take out my phone showing her a recent picture of him.

"Aw, I'm sorry Tanner, but he looks just like his mom," I smack my teeth pulling my phone away. "I'm sorry how are you two actually?""Married, we got married a couple of months before Michael was born."

"Why didn't I get an invitation, and why haven't I heard from you for a while? I called your phone and it does something weird, I even called your mom and she told me that you basically cut off everybody on that side of the family."

"It's only temporary, or permanently, depending on my mood. Either way I don't want them around my family. It's too toxic for my liking. And as far as you trying to reach me, Mya didn't feel comfortable with our friendship, so I blocked you."

"Oh," she looks taken aback from what I said, "I guess that that's understandable, but it was good to see you again."

"You too," I couldn't help myself, walking around the counter I pull her into a tight hug, well not really tight because of the fact that she had the baby in her arm. "Come by the shop anytime, at least you are welcomed here," I attempt to lighten the mood, but it just made it me feel worse.

God I hate good-byes.

~

This is ridiculous, I shouldn't be have to wait outside my house I thought to myself contemplating whether or not if I should just go in or sleep in my car.

"Hey I'm ho- what is this?" I look at the baggage that was sitting by the front door wondering what the fuck is going on.

"What the hell does it look like?" Mya snaps as she makes Michael's bottle.

"Bags, where are you going?"

"I'm not going anywhere, you are."