Chapter 64: Fighter

"Dan," you whispered. "Yeah?" he grumbled. "I can't sleep," you replied. "Come here cutie," he giggled. You slipped out of your bed and hopped into his. You smiled as he wrapped his arms around you. You snuggled into his chest. "Ow," Dan cried as you accidentally put your head on his wound. "Sorry," you replied. "It's alright," he said. You used his shoulder as a pillow, and fell asleep.

A nurse cane in early the next morning. "Madeline, I have the official results," she said. "What are they?" you asked impatiently. "You have been diagnosed with breast cancer," she replied. You started to cry, and Dan held you in his arms. He rubbed your back. "It'll be ok, shh, we'll get through this together," he soothed. Pretty soon, you had fallen asleep in Dan's arms.

You were laying in a hospital bed. Dan was sitting beside you, looking tired. You were skin and bones. Dan began to cry and hold your hand. The heart monitor beside your bed flatlined. Dan was holding your hand in his when the doctors rushed in. They tried to save you but it was too late. The cancer had taken over.

Dan had woken you up. "Are you alright, you were crying and screaming in your sleep?" Dan asked. You wrapped your arms around him and sobbed. "Did you have a nightmare?" he questioned. You nodded, "The cancer killed me and you were there, it broke my heart. I can't let that happen Dan," you cried. He rocked you back and forth, "It won't happen, because you are going to beat the cancer, my little fighter," he replied sweetly. You looked up into his watery blue eyes and smiled. "Thanks Dan," you whispered before pressing your lips against his.