36. I'll plant a rose garden over his remains

Start from the beginning

He smiles smugly. "Nothing of importance...but I did get full permission from you, even if you don't recall giving it to me!" He shouts the last part of his sentence as he bolts out the door and down the hallway.

Against my better judgment, I take off after him.

"Devin!" I yell out and hear his evil laughter echo across the house.

"You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man!"

I stop in the main hall and look around. Where the hell did he go? I hear a cry of pain and quickly run into the games room.

Devin's on top of Zack, pinning him to the floor with his arm pressed against his back, and Devin's knee pressed firmly into the back of his neck.

"Devin!" I run up and grab him, pulling him off of Zack.

He just smiles innocently. "What?"

"What's this crap he was saying about getting permission to kill me from you?" Zack grumbles, rubbing the back f his neck and looking pointedly at me.

"I didn't give him permission to do anything."

"Well, apparently he also had permission to bury me and plant a rose garden over my remains." I open my mouth and close it again. I really don't have a response for that.

I turn to Devin. "Where did you come up with that stuff?"

He gives me another 'innocent' smile "Oh that's nothing, you should've heard what else I said." He tucks his hands in his pockets. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find a saw, a large pot, firewood, roses, Garrett's phone number or home address, and a snack for later."

He turns and bolts out of the room and me and Zack share a glance, where my eyes are questioning, his eyes look fearful.

"Do I want to know?" He asks.

"I know I don't," I mutter and make my way towards the kitchen. I see Devin run by with saw...crap.

"Oh, Cody!" He calls out, "Where are you?"

"Why?" I hear Cody call back and Devin smirks.

I rip the saw out of his hands. "Let me guess, I gave you permission to cut up Cody with a saw."

"And sell his parts on the black market." I rub my free hand over my face in exasperation. It's only then that I realize all my anger has been depleted. I turn back towards him.

"Was this your plan the entire time? To calm me down?"

He smiles smugly again. "Well it worked didn't it?" He takes the saw back from me. "Now I've got to go and put this back." He leans towards me. "But I really wasn't kidding when I said I was going to kill Zack and plant a rose garden over his remains...in fact, I actually bought the rose bushes while you were dress shopping."

I raise an eyebrow at him. "And how long have you had this idea?"

"Since I shot him."

"Gee thanks." I turn towards Zack who's leaning against the wall behind me.

"You're very welcome." Devin retorts back sarcastically. He picks up a shovel I hadn't even noticed and heads out towards the backyard.

"He doesn't like you very much," I say.

"No really," Zack asks sarcastically. "I thought we were great pals." He gives me dirty look. I keep my face blank and hide my smile. He lets out a sigh and gestures for me to follow. "Walk with me."

I follow him outside and into the garden area, walking along the pebbled path.

"Garrett's not going to be there."