22. Devin, a gunshot, a TV, and a fly

I think the title of the chapter just about sums it up.

Thirteen's POV

"Wow." I hear Devin say as I descend the stairs and into the kitchen where everyone is crowded around the counter eating breakfast.

"What?" Jason questions. Devin continues staring at him.

"I just realized how ugly you are."

Jason's out of his seat in a split second, but Devin's already gone, Jason running off after him. I roll my eyes.

"Is this a normal occurrence?" I ask Chase.

He almost grimaces as he nods. "You get use to it...sometimes."

"Devin's like an annoying little brother on drugs," Cody adds, taking a drink of his coffee.

He points at his cup. "Do you want any?" He asks.

I look at it in disgust. I open my mouth to make a comment when a cup of tea is placed in front of me. I turn to look up at Hayden.

"No Cody, and thanks Hayden," I say as I lift the cup to my lips.

"No problem figured you still weren't drinking coffee."

"Coffee is nasty," I reply to him. It's so much nicer when we're not constantly going at each other. I see Cody and Chase watching us out of the corner of my eye.

"Yeah whatever you say." He retorts with a smirk. Cody lets out a sound similar to a growl and gets up, departing from the kitchen. Chase watches him go.

"What's up with him?" I ask.

Chase shrugs. "Don't know."

"I do," Devin says in a sing-song voice, sly grin in on his face, but before he can say anything further, he's tackled to the floor by Jason. I raise an eyebrow at the two.

"Well, I'm going to do some research on my computer," I announce. I look up at Chase and point at Jason and Devin, "Call me down if this gets out of hand, and I'll finish it." I tell him. He just shakes his head slightly, and amused smile on his lips.

"Yeah ok," he replies. "Oh, and you left your book down here." He holds out the book Zack had taken from me.

"Thanks. "I take it from his hands and head up the stairs, going straight into Cody's room, luckily he's not in there.

I toss the book onto the couch and it bounces off, a small slip of paper falling out.

What?

I grab the paper and turn it over in my hands. I look at the neat writing on the back. I shake my head, trying hard to fight the smile tugging at my lips.

I punch the phone number into my phone and hold it up to my ear. He answers almost immediately.

"You don't give up easily do you?" I ask.

"Not when I know I'll win." Comes his cocky reply. I roll my eyes, even though he can't see me.

"Well you sound really sure of yourself." I tease him lightly.

"Well of course I am, I mean come on have you see me?"

"Yeah as I've said before, I've seen better," I state calmly.

He scoffs, "There's no way you've seen better than all this."

"And how would you know that?"

"I just do." He says. "Hey, you want to come to a bonfire party with me tonight?"